Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

annoying engine "whir"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's the shop book info about putting the PCV back together:

1. Install the new O-ring (4) and the PCV valve (3).
  2. Install the access cover (2).
  3. Install the MAP sensor (1).
  4. Connect the MAP sensor electrical connector.
Originally Posted by dbaldwin
pretty sure the alt is making the whir. (Took the belt off and whir went away but not chirp/tick)
Follow up question.... Does the noise return when you put the belt back on. I ask because you disturbed the PCV setup. Re-seating it all may have skewed your findings. Next test is can you make the noise come back.

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Jason, Jason, Jason, he's our man!! You never cease to amaze me and I'm sure others with your logical precess of elimination and in depth automotive knowledge...
Thanks Zippy! Stuff like that one comes from random reading from fellow 3800 owners. Luckily, I have not had that problem, but I read about someone on a Bonneville forum going nuts trying to find a noise (after changing his alt). Another member told him to replace an o-ring, rest is history.

Attached Thumbnails annoying engine "whir"-pcv.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Here's the shop book info about putting the PCV back together:

1. Install the new O-ring (4) and the PCV valve (3).
  2. Install the access cover (2).
  3. Install the MAP sensor (1).
  4. Connect the MAP sensor electrical connector.

Follow up question.... Does the noise return when you put the belt back on. I ask because you disturbed the PCV setup. Re-seating it all may have skewed your findings. Next test is can you make the noise come back.

Thanks Zippy! Stuff like that one comes from random reading from fellow 3800 owners. Luckily, I have not had that problem, but I read about someone on a Bonneville forum going nuts trying to find a noise (after changing his alt). Another member told him to replace an o-ring, rest is history.
noise did come back with belt back on. ran the test three times

Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

David, I can't say for sure but that really sounds like you are starting/running my car. I have a bad power staying pump. Been making that same wherr since I got the car. It doesn't get any were when I make a turn but turning the steering at a stand still to park requires a little muscle. You know, like when parallel parking. It got better when I replaced my front struts but it still makes that noise. Funny thing is there are couple of Montes and Grand Prixs in my area with the 3800 motor in them. They all make that same noise. I have flushed my power steering and it did not good. My fluid level is fine but yet it sounds like there is no fluid in the pump. I even tried Lucas, that didn't work. It hasn't gotten any better or were sine I got the her. So I continue to do the other more needed things on her. Eventually I will replace the pump.
I will Bet you have the same issue. The sound is the same and every time I've heard a car with low ps fluid, That's exactly what it sounds like.
Also, if the bearing for any of your pullies were bad, Ithink your belt would pop off. And, since your alligator sits right over your power steering pump, it's going to sound like it's coming from the altenater. Maybe I'm wrong but it can't hurt to check it. At Least!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
David, I can't say for sure but that really sounds like you are starting/running my car. I have a bad power staying pump. Been making that same wherr since I got the car. It doesn't get any were when I make a turn but turning the steering at a stand still to park requires a little muscle. You know, like when parallel parking. It got better when I replaced my front struts but it still makes that noise. Funny thing is there are couple of Montes and Grand Prixs in my area with the 3800 motor in them. They all make that same noise. I have flushed my power steering and it did not good. My fluid level is fine but yet it sounds like there is no fluid in the pump. I even tried Lucas, that didn't work. It hasn't gotten any better or were sine I got the her. So I continue to do the other more needed things on her. Eventually I will replace the pump.
I will Bet you have the same issue. The sound is the same and every time I've heard a car with low ps fluid, That's exactly what it sounds like.
Also, if the bearing for any of your pullies were bad, Ithink your belt would pop off. And, since your alligator sits right over your power steering pump, it's going to sound like it's coming from the altenater. Maybe I'm wrong but it can't hurt to check it. At Least!
could be, just that my brothers power steering pump sounded alot different and his is newer than mine.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe the problem is just your belt? Does it look worn at all?

Sometimes it can be the simple things, especially if you can't mimic the sounds by moving the pulleys by hand.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:54 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Maybe the problem is just your belt? Does it look worn at all?

Sometimes it can be the simple things, especially if you can't mimic the sounds by moving the pulleys by hand.
Could be, that's the thing, I made A sound by moving the alternator pulley but not the one that I was looking for. None of the other pulleys made a sound. I have had A PS pump fail on my saturn and that wheel was a bitch to turn. My wheel is stiff but not hard to turn. The PS is still porting the fluid well and nothing is leaking. I guess ill start with replacing the PCV valve and belt (both cheap fixes and I don't know when they were last replaced) my brother said it could be the belt causing it as well. If thoes don't fix it then the next thing is to swap out an alternator and a PS pump. (I'd start with an alt cause Iv been looking to upgrade anyways) but hopefully I don't have too

Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could also try some belt dressing, it could just be slipping a touch, but if you do see the tell-tale signs of a belt going bad, definitely just replace it. It sure is easy enough haha

Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
1 Year Member

You could also try some belt dressing, it could just be slipping a touch, but if you do see the tell-tale signs of a belt going bad, definitely just replace it. It sure is easy enough haha
Ill start with the cheap things but I think I'm tacking on things on my list of stuff to do to the car haha. I'm going to do the valve covers that I got from jason (and painted) as soon as It warms up outside. Was looking at doing the LIM gasket but with all the accrylic pen I see on the parts that are required to get to the LIM, this has most likely been done already in the life of the car. A lot of the eletrical system has also been gone through too and I'm sure more stuff. I wish I could find all the previous owners and what's been done to the car but alas there was 9 of them!! Then I will probably start on replacing the accessory components. Ill take the belt off again as soon as I get home and look a little close to see if its worn out, or maybe its slipping. Though I doubt that's the issue. I wish there was a way to Isolate the pulleys. At high speed... maybe I can get a small belt and hook a pulley up to a drill..... I just would love this sound to go away beacuse with everything done to her she sounds beautiful from the intake all the way back to the pipes, just this annoying little sound making me angry.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Could be, that's the thing, I made A sound by moving the alternator pulley but not the one that I was looking for.
When you wiggle the alt pulley, does it have any play in it as well? And I assume you checked the water pump and tensioner pulleys?
Keep in mind, when you spin the pulley by hand, it's much slower then the engine spinning it. As a result, it's hard to get the same exact sound, so all you're looking for is a clue.
I never thought about it, but the belt could be the source of the noise too. When you replace it, a tip given to me was since the old belt is not snapped or fraying, bundle it up, put it with your spare tire. This way if the belt ever breaks on the road, you have a spare at all times (it should be enough to get home until you can buy a new belt).

You could also try some belt dressing, it could just be slipping a touch
I've learned to steer a way from belt dressing. In my experiences, it solved nothing (sometimes made bigger problems).

Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM
1 Year Member

Also, if It helps, the sound seems to go away in 3rd gear (that's from the Inside though) maybe its just drowning it out though

Quick Reply: annoying engine "whir"