Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

aluminum transmission pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Default For anyone who thinks a 4t65e is a weak transmission

I made a post on here a little while ago about these transmissions I will not repeat myself but it was about flushing the tranny. Try to find that post read what I wrote and email me so I can email back a picture of what to do so you don't have 4T65E troubles. Same for 4T60 trans also.

jtk030704@hotmail.com

With that said an external cooler is always good if your gonna beat on the trans and they are real easy to install, just don't put it in front of your A/C condenser.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 AM

joamo the reason why some use the pure synthetic in the trans is the same reason why they use it for engin. but the castroil dex vi will be good for a change because your doing prevenitive mantenence on the trans taking out old and putting in new. running pure synthitic imo is synthitic runs smother and lets every thing run at a lower rpm its a opinion. the fluid should be fine next time when you have the money to do it when the trans needs anouther servise you can get the synthitic. but it should be your preference and what you like to use in your serviceing. if you do choose it next time it will help out alot. in my own opinion it should run smother a little smother shifts but either way do what is needed first. do the change to give more life to the trans then get what you want later

Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
What about Castrol's Dexron VI ATF? I got 8 quarts free from a relative and changed it this past sunday.
Car's running just fine.
Should i switch it to Mobil 1's?
Mobil 1 syn is what i use for the engine.
I would rather have the Castrol Dexron VI than the Mobil 1 ATF. Like I siad before, the Mobil 1 does NOT meet the Dexron VI spec. At least the Castrol VI does meet the new spec.

You actually upgraded the fluid in your tranny, your car being a 2004 had factory fill Dexron III, which is no longer supported or licensed by GM. So you did the right thing by switching to Dexron VI.

I personally prefer the Valvoline version of Dexron VI because it is a Full Synthetic ATF. The Castrol is a Synthetic Blend. But even the factory fill GM Dexron VI is a synthetic blend, so you are fine!

I also use Mobil 1 engine oil, and I would use their tranny fluid too, but they don't offer a full synthetic version of Dexron VI, so I went with Valvoline for the tranny.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Your tranny should have one built in- should just be a matter of scanning.
I think you are right. I ment that I didn't drill out the spot for a tranny sensor on the finned trans pan, and I didn't put in an aftermarket sensor with a gauge hooked to it so I can see the temp all the time.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Thank you very much guys!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 PM

Hey, could somone give me some info on the trans cooler? mostly where to get one for my car? does anyone even make one for my car??

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Hey, could somone give me some info on the trans cooler? mostly where to get one for my car? does anyone even make one for my car??
have you ever searched for anything for your car, other than asking here???? search like the rest of us do, geez

Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Fluid coolers aren't vehicle specific, they're universal. You can get them at about any parts store- online at summitracing.com jegs.com etc etc any performance site. Get whatever size you think you want (smaller size for easier mounting, larger size for more cooling)- and the hoses and fittings, and put it in. All you do is mount it- cut one of your transmission hoses in half, then connect each cut end to one side of the new cooler. I would recommend cutting the return hose from the stock cooler- because if you do it the other way, the stock cooler may heat it back up (being almost 200*).

I've also seen people cut both lines, and just bypass the stock cooler altogether (assuming you get a big enough cooler).

The key here is to make sure the clamps are tight, and stay tight- a LOT of people have had trouble leaking fluid and having hoses fall off from clamps coming loose. That's why I don't really recommend them unless you have a specific reason why your vehicle needs one (ie towing, mountain driving, etc).

Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Never looked for anything for my car. Never even bought anything, it just usually shows up when the easter bunny brings a rainy day. Wait... you people buy all these performance mods for your cars???

The whole universal thing is why i couldnt find one.
GEEZ your dam self. You dont have to read my posts nonetheless reply. Thank you.
"Bumpin96" thank you.

Last edited by wht02monte; 04-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: aluminum transmission pan