Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

aluminum transmission pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Default aluminum transmission pan

Hey guys! Can anyone tell me where I can get an aluminum transmission pan for a 2006 monte carlo ss? for how much? and how much does it help the tranny?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been looking for about 20 minutes now with no results! sorry, I know there is a member here who has one on his car but it's an 06 3500. I would also like to get one for my 06 3900! If nobody answers here I will send him a PM.. the member who has one is (MAMONTE) Michael....he usually checks the forum during the week.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM

how much does it help the tranny?
Not hardly at all for the money- what are you wanting one for? If your trans is overheating, and you want more cooling- do a trans cooler instead- probably cheaper too.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM

The main reason that i want one is because i know the monte carlo ss has a terrible transmission but so far so good for me. The previous had to get the torque converter changed. I just wanted to do whatever i can to try to prevent future issues. i drained the transmision last month and put in mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid. i wanna do that annually if it will help. so out of the pan and cooler, you would recommend the cooler? why? just curious.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

trans cooler becuase heat is what kills auto's

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 AM

x2- you'll get WAY more cooling effect with an additional trans cooler (they have one stock already built in the radiator) than a finned pan.

I also think its way overkill to do a trans flush every year- just be easy on the trans and don't race the snot out of it, and it might last a while.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM

thanks for the input guys. i guess i'll have to try to control myself alittle more when someone wants to race me lol.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Ok, I am the one that has the finned pan on my Monte. I agree, it is a lot of money to spend on a pan, but I love the pan. Does it cool the tranny? I'm sure it does, but not by drastic amounts. I have no way of knowing for sure because I don't have a tranny temp sensor (although with the aluminum pan, you could add one if you wanted). The feature I like most about the pan is the drain plug! It makes service so much cleaner and easier.

If you are intrested, here is where I bought mine (I think ZZPerformance has them too, and they are cheaper there)

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/al...FSZHagodWzwlEA

Now, I saw that you put in Mobil 1 transmission fluid huh!?!?!? REMOVE it! Your 2006 came from the factory with GM Dexron VI synthetic blend tranny fluid. If you want a full synthetic, Valvoline makes a Dexron VI Full Synthetic ATF, which i've been using in my car since 20,000 miles, and i'm at 112K now with no tranny issues. Mobil 1 transmission fluid meets the old spec for Dexron III (which actually is not even licensed or supported by GM anymore). Mobil DOES in fact make an ATF that meet the Dexron VI spec, but it is NOT a full synthetic, its a semi-synthetic. The Dexron VI is far superior to the older Dexron III, and is the ONLY spec licensed by GM. And like I said, your car car from the factory with Dexron VI, you essentially down graded your ATF.

He is a link to Mobil's website, they even recommend to not use Mobil 1 ATF in 2006 and newer GM vehicles:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...on_Fluids.aspx

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM

I don't have a tranny temp sensor
Your tranny should have one built in- should just be a matter of scanning.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
Ok, I am the one that has the finned pan on my Monte. I agree, it is a lot of money to spend on a pan, but I love the pan. Does it cool the tranny? I'm sure it does, but not by drastic amounts. I have no way of knowing for sure because I don't have a tranny temp sensor (although with the aluminum pan, you could add one if you wanted). The feature I like most about the pan is the drain plug! It makes service so much cleaner and easier.

If you are intrested, here is where I bought mine (I think ZZPerformance has them too, and they are cheaper there)

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/al...FSZHagodWzwlEA

Now, I saw that you put in Mobil 1 transmission fluid huh!?!?!? REMOVE it! Your 2006 came from the factory with GM Dexron VI synthetic blend tranny fluid. If you want a full synthetic, Valvoline makes a Dexron VI Full Synthetic ATF, which i've been using in my car since 20,000 miles, and i'm at 112K now with no tranny issues. Mobil 1 transmission fluid meets the old spec for Dexron III (which actually is not even licensed or supported by GM anymore). Mobil DOES in fact make an ATF that meet the Dexron VI spec, but it is NOT a full synthetic, its a semi-synthetic. The Dexron VI is far superior to the older Dexron III, and is the ONLY spec licensed by GM. And like I said, your car car from the factory with Dexron VI, you essentially down graded your ATF.

He is a link to Mobil's website, they even recommend to not use Mobil 1 ATF in 2006 and newer GM vehicles:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...on_Fluids.aspx

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
What about Castrol's Dexron VI ATF? I got 8 quarts free from a relative and changed it this past sunday.
Car's running just fine.
Should i switch it to Mobil 1's?
Mobil 1 syn is what i use for the engine.

Last edited by Jomao_o; 04-27-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: aluminum transmission pan