Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

99 Lumina LTZ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
SS M90 is easier
Top swap is cheaper with better gains, and the L67 aftermarket
fixed

Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM

if i remember correctly where i got my stuff at for my 3.8 is 3800performance.com little be known its in a 96 lumina sl but with what they have there you can do a full gound up for about 6-7 grand and pack 560-790hp in that little fireball or if your crazy you can look to sti and J&E pistons have j&e make titanium turbo pistons and go that rout with about 900hp

Old 09-01-2009, 03:14 PM

3800performance.com little be known its in a 96 lumina sl but with what they have there you can do a full gound up for about 6-7 grand and pack 560-790hp in that little fireball or if your crazy you can look to sti and J&E pistons have j&e make titanium turbo pistons and go that rout with about 900hp
First of all, I'm not sure where you got those oddball hp figures, but IMO 3800performance doesn't really carry many major performance parts.

They don't carry any ported heads, ported blowers, any major L67 cams (yeah they've got the TEP- but even thats not a great hardcore cam compared to a S3/S4 or XPZ)- their only turbo kit is the CT; and they don't offer the 1" GM racing tranny chain if you do start making big power.

500-600 crank hp really isn't that hard to get, go for a big turbo kit from ZZP or stattama- with a few minor bolt ons, and a full built trans. 900 crank HP is also doable with one of those big kits with a turbo cam, and a heavily worked engine- but you don't need custom pistons and such- it has been done before on a totally stock L67 bottom end.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Top swap is cheaper with better gains, and the L67 aftermarket

I missed this until now- how do you figure better gains?

L67 aftermarket? The only thing I'm restricted on is the type of MPS pulley I run- and there are plenty of options. L67 valvetrain, exhaust, intake, electronic, whatever mods all work fine for me.

Something else to consider- top swapping will start you with a 3.8" pulley- you WILL see considerable knock on a 3.8 pulley with stock exhaust/stock valvetrain on an L36 bottom end. Local guy has had KR problems with his top swapped GP GT even with a VS cam, power log, 3" DP, and full cat-back! If you're planning on top swapping, I'd plan on doing at least 1.9 roller rockers and a 3" DP at the same time, so add these (and the hardware that goes with them) to your initial cost as well.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM

idk but it seems to me when i ordered my parts about a month ago they have stage 4 internal kits racing superchargers ecm units underdrive pully kits overdrive supercharger pulleys high rpm cranks and a list of other **** but for me my lumina is pulling 768hp out of a 98 fireball 3.8 with chevy vortec heads redone internals agressive cam lobes and a twin turbo set up pushing 18 lbs of boost and as for the j&e pistons its a good idea so your not blowing threw the cast ones that you normally get trust me been there done that not to mention the 3.8 is bored .4 over so i had to have machined pistons to fit the sleaving

Last edited by BlackMagicGm; 09-02-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 AM

You have a 768 HP FWD 3.8? Not to be a jerk, but do you have any vids/dyno runs/waddever to back this up?

You're basically claiming to have the most powerful FWD 3.8 in the world...and if I read your post right you're claiming to have built this in a month. I don't think ZZP's 8 second TTGT even dyno'd that high.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
[/B]

I missed this until now- how do you figure better gains?

L67 aftermarket? The only thing I'm restricted on is the type of MPS pulley I run- and there are plenty of options. L67 valvetrain, exhaust, intake, electronic, whatever mods all work fine for me.
If you top-swap you are running 2 different belts. You also can use any mod that's made for the L67, like if you wanted to intercool your SSM90 kit, you would have to buy specific SSM90 intercoolers, you basically are taking away a lot of the aftermarket by making it so specific. Only ZZP will make the stuff you want, and you wont' be able to find it as frequently used and for sale.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Remember, I have an L67 car and an SS M90 car.

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
If you top-swap you are running 2 different belts.
OK- not sure how that really comes into play.

You also can use any mod that's made for the L67, like if you wanted to intercool your SSM90 kit, you would have to buy specific SSM90 intercoolers, you basically are taking away a lot of the aftermarket by making it so specific. Only ZZP will make the stuff you want, and you wont' be able to find it as frequently used and for sale.
I can use any mod that's made for the L67 right now on my SS M90 car, with the exception of pulleys (which I already pointed out). I can run any intercooler out there that will fit an L67 car. I think you're getting hung up on the L36 style fuel rails, which could interfere with an intercooler- they're gone- the SS M90 kit comes with fuel logs that provide plenty of clearance.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Something else to consider- top swapping will start you with a 3.8" pulley- you WILL see considerable knock on a 3.8 pulley with stock exhaust/stock valvetrain on an L36 bottom end.
Couldn't you run the SS MPS 4.2" with a top swap? It would make the swap easier too in that you wouldn't have to swap balancers?

as for the j&e pistons its a good idea so your not blowing threw the cast ones that you normally get trust me been there done that
Stock pistons are hypereutectic (sp)- and there is no way you're going to 'blow threw' them unless your tune is really really bad- or you've got monster KR; in which case, forged pistons aren't going to save you anyways.

No one has found the HP limit for a totally stock bottom end...

Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMagicGm
if i remember correctly where i got my stuff at for my 3.8 is 3800performance.com little be known its in a 96 lumina sl but with what they have there you can do a full gound up for about 6-7 grand and pack 560-790hp in that little fireball or if your crazy you can look to sti and J&E pistons have j&e make titanium turbo pistons and go that rout with about 900hp
well not looking for anything like that lol.. car performs ok just looking for little extra boost in hp/torque. haven't really decided to go with Cartuning Performance 3800 Turbo Kit, they are saying it will fit but may need some modifications.. they didn't really explain what kinda modifications... just hope exhaust manifiolds work. the stock ones are the same style as the 3100,3400 they rap around to rear and exit out one. kit looks like i might have to make my own exhaust pipes from the maninfold..

does the M90 just bolt on even for non-supercharged engine??

also keeping in mind I have to pass emssion test with this machine too..

found a 98 GTP thats rusty.. for 1500 only problem it has 260,000 km's on it.

trying to find a wreckers that has one.

Last edited by zmame; 09-03-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 Lumina LTZ supercharger