Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

85 monte

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Default 85 monte

i think its a 350 v8 ... not sure .... my buddy is telling me its a 305 cause its the stock engine..

eaither way ..n e one got some suggestion on how to make it go faster ...what i can add to it without re doing the whole motor

please be nice ..not a huge engine guy ...but im trying to get into it ..

i was gonna add a supercharger but my dad said that would be stupid without an engine upgrade ..is he right ?

let me know ..thanks

Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Default RE: 85 monte

That all depends, people have built 305s, but I think the 350 is a lot more popular and has more options. Pictures would help if you don't know if it's the original engine or not.

I saw in your other thread that you've got 24s and a 4in lift. Going back down in tire/wheel size and lowering the car will help a lot in the handling and depending on how heavy the wheels are replacing them with light weight ones will help with acceleration.

As for if it's pointless without a swap? That all depends on what kinda shape the engine is in and how much work it'd need. You don't wanna be boosting a engine that doesn't run worth a damn.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 PM

if your engine run's good and your looking for a little bit more power .headers and dual exhaust system is a good start.
a intake manifold and carb is a fairly easy mod. a cam would be your next best bet but is a little bit more involved.
there is alot you can do but it all depends on your buget and how far you want to go.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 AM

If it is the original engine then it is a 305. Looking at the 2 engines, 305 and 350, externally they are nearly identical.
And your dad is correct, why would you think that you know more about it than he does, I'd listen to him if I was you.
Adding a supercharger to a stock 305 would be a waste of money and effort. The heads on the 305 do not "flow" enough to get any real performance out of them. HP is created in the valve train, therefore you need good "flowing" heads. 305 heads have 170cc intake runners and small valves, 1.94 intake, 1.50 exhaust. For a supercharger to be effective you would need heads with atleast 200cc intake runners and 2.02 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust valves.
What 88ss408 suggested, headers, dual exhaust, aluminum intake manifold and performance carb would be a good place to start. I'd also rebuild and kit the transmission. HTH