Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

5.3l Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Default 5.3l Swap

Has anyone put a new 5.3l V8 in anything that originally had a 3.8l? Done some searching but couldn't come up with much. Will they even fit in the older 2000-2005 body styles. The cars look mostly the same other that different bolt on sheet metal and bumpers.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM

like you said there hasne been anyone doing em. you can get an 06 07 now so cheap its not even funny. so your better off doing that. but if your really set to doing it then everything is going ot be custom made to fit. such as brackets, drivetrain, your going to have to do wiring and all to. but hey if they are puttin them in fieros go ahead. its cheaper to just buy a monte whole

Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member

I really like the look of the 2000-2005 better than the newer style. I think there is maybe only one of the newer ones with a v8 around here. I'll have to see if I can track it down and get a good look at it. I would think you would be able to just drop the whole subframe and motor and replace it with the newer one. Maybe?? I'm sure its not very easy though.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 PM

ill guarentee you that its not that easy. im willing to bet that suspension is different to. again i think it would be cheaper to buy one.
but if your talkin about one with v8 "around here" meaning on the forum there is more than one. but if you mean around your area then idk. your going to need to do more than just look at it. now that im thinking about it, the radiator, core support, firewall and heater core will need rerouting. im pretty sure that the v8 got a bigger radiator

Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 PM

It would likely be easier and cheaper to get an '06-07, and put on the hood, fenders, bumper, and headlights from an '00-05 if that's the look you're going for. Hell the fenders might even be the same.

I know what you mean about preferring the look of the '00-05 front end.
That's what kept me from buying one of the V8 SS Monte's.

-Riggs.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 AM

I would think you would be able to just drop the whole subframe and motor and replace it with the newer one.
Thats what I'm thinking too- has anybody actually looked at the body measurements between those 4 cradle bolts (I'm sure its on alignment / body shop sheets)?

I don't really think the mechanical part would be all that bad- the only thing I would be worried about would be electrical communications. I'd imagine you could just use the factory 5.3 engine bay wiring, but I would be worried about communications with the factory gauge cluster, body computer, etc.

I'm sure the new SS's aren't as different as everyone thinks. Suspension and stuff would be irrelevant, because the weights shouldn't be that different- and if you wanted to upgrade, you could always just buy aftermarket stuff instead. Same with the radiator- I doubt it would be a problem, its not like the 5.3 generates that much more heat. I haven't heard of any L67 swap guys having a problem with insufficient radiator cooling capacity.

I think this would be a cool swap, and you could make an SS cheaper that way too. Imagine finding a 00, or 01 base monte with a blown engine or tranny for under $1000, then buy a complete dropout from an SS, or a whole front clip from a rear totalled car.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-11-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Thats what I'm thinking too- has anybody actually looked at the body measurements between those 4 cradle bolts (I'm sure its on alignment / body shop sheets)?

I don't really think the mechanical part would be all that bad- the only thing I would be worried about would be electrical communications. I'd imagine you could just use the factory 5.3 engine bay wiring, but I would be worried about communications with the factory gauge cluster, body computer, etc.

I'm sure the new SS's aren't as different as everyone thinks. Suspension and stuff would be irrelevant, because the weights shouldn't be that different- and if you wanted to upgrade, you could always just buy aftermarket stuff instead. Same with the radiator- I doubt it would be a problem, its not like the 5.3 generates that much more heat. I haven't heard of any L67 swap guys having a problem with insufficient radiator cooling capacity.

I think this would be a cool swap, and you could make an SS cheaper that way too. Imagine finding a 00, or 01 base monte with a blown engine or tranny for under $1000, then buy a complete dropout from an SS, or a whole front clip from a rear totalled car.

I don't think GM would have completely redesigned the whole car just to put a V8 in a few of them. I've been working at a body shop for a little over six years now and you'd be surprised how much is interchangeable between the impalas, gran prix's and monte's. They never really change the main body of the cars over the time of the body style. They just change the bolt on parts, fenders, bumpers, lights. I've worked on Impala's and aside from being a 4 door they're just like working on a monte. Doors come apart the same, bumpers bolt on the same, dash looks pretty similar. For the most party they are constructed the same GM just hung different looking sheet metal on it. I guess to me the mechanical part would be the easy part. Electronics could be a whole nother story.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 PM

i was thinking the same like bumpin said front clip isnt hard to find where i am at. there is 237 of the monte ss 06-07. at a salvage place where i live next to they allready sent a whole clip to some one needing it.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 PM

i am thinking about it getting the clip and takeing the stuff off that i want. electrical computer motor and trany where it stands the 07 is a slide in but not sure about 01-05 models.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 AM

may have to found a sit where you may find interesting for the mounts to do the swap. i have a big list in my fav's thry typeing custim engine mount brackets.