Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3800 `Turbo : )

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 3800 `Turbo : )

Hi `Rob, thanks for your post reply. I really appreciate
your answers. I just believe that the more a person can learn about
induction systems, the better that they will be at a selecting what
is best for them, and also what company will give them service
after the sale.
I've learned a lot on the MCF from the membership.
Thanks for being a super contributing member.
`Space

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How Turbochargers Work
[:-]
(For Member's like `Space, who want
to know how things work : )

by Karim Nice

Inside This Article
Introduction to How Turbochargers Work

Inside a Turbocharger

Design Considerations

More Design Considerations

Lots More Information

See all Engine Performance articles
When people talk about race cars or high-performance sports cars, the topic of turbochargers usually comes up. Turbochargers also appear on large diesel engines. A turbo can significantly boost an engine's horsepower without significantly increasing its weight, which is the huge benefit that makes turbos so popular!

In this article, we'll learn how a turbocharger increases the power output of an engine while surviving extreme operating conditions. We'll also learn how wastegates, ceramic turbine blades and ball bearings help turbochargers do their job even better. Turbochargers are a type of forced induction system. They compress the air flowing into the engine (see How Car Engines Work for a description of airflow in a normal engine). The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine squeeze more air into a cylinder, and more air means that more fuel can be added. Therefore, you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbocharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging. This can significantly improve the power-to-weight ratio for the engine (see How Horsepower Works for details).
[align=center]In order to achieve this boost, the turbocharger uses the exhaust flow from the engine to spin a turbine, which in turn spins an air pump. The turbine in the turbocharger spins at speeds of up to 150,000 rotations per minute (rpm) -- that's about 30 times faster than most car engines can go. And since it is hooked up to the exhaust, the temperatures in the turbine are also very high. [/align][align=center]The Basics
One of the surest ways to get more power out of an engine is to increase the amount of air and fuel that it can burn. One way to do this is to add cylinders or make the current cylinders bigger. Sometimes these changes may not be feasible -- a turbo can be a simpler, more compact way to add power, especially for an aftermarket accessory.
[/align]
[align=center][URL=http://auto.howstuffworks.com/enlarge-image.htm?terms=Turbochargers&page=0][u][col

Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 AM

yeah.... what exactly does that feel like.. supercharged AND turbocharged?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 AM

Have you guys seen that AT&T Broadband commercial?
"Hey Gus, how fast is your new AT&T Broadband?"
Gus puts the train full throttle, people are experiencing extreme g-force, guys fake hair falls off...
"About that fast."

That's what a SC and TC car feels like. (I can imagine...I don't know. )

Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 PM

would someone buy me one lol broke college student yet....kidding, but really they sound like it'll throw you in your seat! i hope someday i can buy one.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 AM

must disagree kevins turbo kit is amazing but kevin definatly is not. traveled out to kevins house more than once for tunes and mods, but unfortunally he is not able to tune properly. poor 2000 monte has been through two transmissions due to faulty programming, and one motor. and do not ever consider trying to get ahold of his after you encounter issues. he is a lost cause...