Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 3500 to 3800sc swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Default 3500 to 3800sc swap

Hey guys,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if this has already been discussed (I used the search but couldn't come up with anything)

I recently bought a 2006 LT with the 3500. I was fortunate enough to pick it up for $400 and put it on the road with very little work. Down side is that the transmission has seen better days.

I love the power potential of of 3800 which is why I want to do this swap. I'm not new to doing swaps (I had an S10 that got the LS treatment). I'm aware of a possible wiring nightmare but other than that, does anyone know of any other possible super headaches? I know the '05 L67 uses the same front suspension and engine cradle as the '06 3500 so my idea was literally swapping sub frames with engine and tranny.

If anyone has any guidance on the topic it would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers guys!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 PM

I can't be of much help on the newer cars since my swap was on a 96. I will say it replaced my 3100 with no issues. Everything was pretty much a bolt in (except the axles, but you should be able to just buy a stock passenger axle for a 6th gen l67 monte and not have to custom make one like I did). Wiring was pretty easy too as I just used a 3800 monte wiring harness (it was for an NA lumina, but the supercharged engine only has 2 small wiring differences).

If you're not super attached to this car, have you thought about just flipping it and picking up a monte carlo with a 3800 already in it?

I get that the L67 Monte carlos aren't as common, but finding an NA 3800 monte and top swapping it should be easier than doing a full engine/trans swap I'd think (and maybe cheaper too?)

Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My original thought was to flip the car however finding a rust free Monte in Southern Ontario for that price is unheard of, so the car is a perfect candidate...plus I like the Gen 7 interior more than the 6th Gen

The other reason for not flipping it is you typical stupid man bet...fastest car you can build for under $3000 (including purchase price). A buddy of mine is building a 5.4L Mustang so I figure you can't get much better bang for your buck than the L67...and I like a challenge