Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 3.4 LS Possible power improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:55 AM

I can send pics via email if you'd like cause I can't pay my phone today

Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 PM

Alright ill pm you my email.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:29 PM

hey whats your email again? the thing deleted the message i was trying to send the pics

Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM

nevermind I found it and sent the pics

Old 10-12-2015, 02:59 PM

The exhaust from the firebird isn't going to fit unfortunately. Best you could hope for is to cut off the expensive components (muffler/tips, resonator) and have those welded onto your current system.

As for an intake, I would suggest finding some way to block the engine bay heat from getting into your new cone filter. You'll notice the stock filter box draws air from behind the headlight, not the engine bay. You'll get the most power out if sucking the relatively cooler air from outside instead of hot engine bay air from radiator fan wash and the exhaust crossover.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-12-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The exhaust from the firebird isn't going to fit unfortunately. Best you could hope for is to cut off the expensive components (muffler/tips, resonator) and have those welded onto your current system.

As for an intake, I would suggest finding some way to block the engine bay heat from getting into your new cone filter. You'll notice the stock filter box draws air from behind the headlight, not the engine bay. You'll get the most power out if sucking the relatively cooler air from outside instead of hot engine bay air from radiator fan wash and the exhaust crossover.
Technically you don't need the muffler I just left the cat and resonator on .mine and it sounds nice, just keeping it this was until I put new dual straights on. But yea he's right about the exhaust it won't fit and as far as the intake goes your best bet is a custom ram air to suck the air from the bumper but if you're on a budget a short ram cold air won't hurt, you're still getting better or flow than the stock box, the box still pulls in hot air whether you wamma believe it or not but you'll notice with a short ram you'll have better sound and response and power

Old 10-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AlexRose
Technically you don't need the muffler I just left the cat and resonator on .mine and it sounds nice, just keeping it this was until I put new dual straights on. But yea he's right about the exhaust it won't fit and as far as the intake goes your best bet is a custom ram air to suck the air from the bumper but if you're on a budget a short ram cold air won't hurt, you're still getting better or flow than the stock box, the box still pulls in hot air whether you wamma believe it or not but you'll notice with a short ram you'll have better sound and response and power
Ill have to disagree about not needing a mufffler. For general operation of the vehicle, you're correct that you could just cut it off. To go one step better, you could also just unbolt the whole catback to save weight if you don't mind the added noise.

Where I disagree is that a muffler may be legally required depending on your local laws. For example, where I live having an 'aftermarket exhaust bypassing cutout' is technically illegal although straight pipe is not. All depends on where you live.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Ill have to disagree about not needing a mufffler. For general operation of the vehicle, you're correct that you could just cut it off. To go one step better, you could also just unbolt the whole catback to save weight if you don't mind the added noise.

Where I disagree is that a muffler may be legally required depending on your local laws. For example, where I live having an 'aftermarket exhaust bypassing cutout' is technically illegal although straight pipe is not. All depends on where you live.
I was just saying he can get rid of the muffler and keep the resonator like I did, which it makes it so you can actually hear your car idlle and gives it a nice deep throaty growl when driving which isn't too loud so you're not gonna get pulled over for it being too loud, it makes it just right

Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlexRose
I was just saying he can get rid of the muffler and keep the resonator like I did, which it makes it so you can actually hear your car idlle and gives it a nice deep throaty growl when driving which isn't too loud so you're not gonna get pulled over for it being too loud, it makes it just right
Removing the muffler and just leaving the resonator can still be considered illegal in some areas. There are two types of laws they could get you with:

-The first specifically cites removing or bypassing a muffler as being illegal. This may or may not be tied to wording about how loud the car is, but even when they do mention loudness, it often isn't in defined terms (ie they'll say 'loud' or 'unusual' noise) so that it's totally up to the officers discretion.

-The second way would be under the general sound ordinances for cars that cover sound systems, exhaust noise, train horns, etc. You have a better chance of these being well defined (ie X dB at y feet), but you still have no way to easily check this on your own to make sure you're in compliance. Plus if you're being a nuisance to others (say revving it up in a neighborhood at 2am), it's still plenty loud enough without a muffler for the police to come look into it.

I agree, it won't be crazy loud without a muffler, but that doesn't necessarily make it legal everywhere either.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I admit, I skimmed this thread, but two threads you may want to look at:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/

And I see this thread got Bumpin's attention, always good advice.