Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.4 Ls to 3.8 L36 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Default 3.4 Ls to 3.8 L36 SS

Ok guys so I have a 2000 Monte Carlo 3.4 it recently broke down didnt really get it checked check but it has something to do with the gasket. Well I bought a 3.8 l36 engine and wanted to drop it in mine. I went by what I have seen on here and other websites that it could be done. I have the ENGINE TRANSMISSION COMPUTER and WIRING HARNESS. I took it to a guy my brother in law knows but he could not do it AFTER having it for a week and starting on it at the end of the week. He said it does not fit and the trans and engine dropped in but the connections did not. He said something about the water pump the computer connection that connects to the dash and other stuff. Can I get some help? Is this right shouldnt it just plug in? I havent had my car for like 3 weeks and need it done ASAP! Can I rewire it to make it fit?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM

From what I understand, you just need the computer and the wiring harness from the donor car. The transmissions are the same kind, but the gear ratio is different. I was told that there would need to be some computer reprogramming to make the transmissions interchangeable. I am looking to do the same swap in my LS and have talked to a few people about it. I would suggest going to milzymotorsports.com and asking him about the swap. He can tell you anything you need to know. He can tell you for sure what you would need to do the swap and if it can be done (it can by the way. I was getting info for an L67 swap from him).

Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mairj40
From what I understand, you just need the computer and the wiring harness from the donor car. The transmissions are the same kind, but the gear ratio is different. I was told that there would need to be some computer reprogramming to make the transmissions interchangeable. I am looking to do the same swap in my LS and have talked to a few people about it. I would suggest going to milzymotorsports.com and asking him about the swap. He can tell you anything you need to know. He can tell you for sure what you would need to do the swap and if it can be done (it can by the way. I was getting info for an L67 swap from him).
The gear ratios are the same. Both the LS and SS use the same 4T65E tranny. The s/c ss has the 4T65E-HD though, and that tranny has a different gear ratio. mairj40 is fine gear ratio wise, but I would question the vehicle he got the wiring harness from. If it wasn't out of a 2nd gen W-body with an L36, then it won't work on his Monte.

Double check to make sure you KNOW where the wiring harness came from. If it was from a 2nd gen W-body with an L36, it's fine. Also, do you have any pics of the wiring harness and pics of why it won't work so far? That would help.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 AM

Naw not yet i just have pics or the motors dont think theyll help but ill post some up...is there a way that the motor is the an l36 but has wires that dont fit? My friend knows how to rewire cars but just wanted to knw if that was correct. The 3.8 looks like the ones on the videos and pictures ive seen. It also come with the 3800 series II cover too. To rewire it would really be cut the connections where it plugs in and then tie it to the others correct?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Funez214
Naw not yet i just have pics or the motors dont think theyll help but ill post some up...is there a way that the motor is the an l36 but has wires that dont fit? My friend knows how to rewire cars but just wanted to knw if that was correct. The 3.8 looks like the ones on the videos and pictures ive seen. It also come with the 3800 series II cover too. To rewire it would really be cut the connections where it plugs in and then tie it to the others correct?
what kind of car is the donor engine and wiring harness out of? the wiring harness are different in small ways for each car

Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM

Was told it was from a 2003 Monte Carlo SS.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Ok guys I finally found a guy that going to get it done! My friend's uncle has a shop and said hes done a couple of swaps with theses engines. Hes done a 3.1 Lumina to a 3.4 said some of the connections werent the same but can do it. Also said he has a 04 05 Impala so hes familiar with the engine. Hopefully will only take a couple days. Finally going to swap out for a SS engine and transmission!