Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2nd Broken Flex Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: suspicion confirmed

Hi Wayne, sorry to read about your problems, & your pastor.
Unfortunately, machines & human break : (
I hope that both can be repaired successfully.
I pray for all, that are in pain.
There are so many.
We are so fortunate, `if we are not......in pain.
I will do some reseach on problems with the GM Flex Plate, and post `if I find.
I do know that my racing friends always have the balanced check on their
flywheel & converter. My one friend had a B&M Trans that kept on blowing/break'in
until he had it balanced.
I hope that your problem can be covered under your GM Warranty,
or that you can find a decent price for parts/repair.
Good Luck `Wayne

Old 01-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Unless they have the capability to do a catscan on the plates before they are installed, shiznick like that happens when you are going for performance.

Like I've said before, torque converter are very simple mechanical devices.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 AM

Confirmed what I thought I was hearing, a broken flex plate.
Can you describe, in a nutshell, what it SOUNDS like? I am curious as to whether or not maybe that is what caused my tranny issue and improper gear ratio code last week....

Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like a loose fan blade rattling, especially at idle with no pressure on it. No noise under throttle until it is about to let loose.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 AM

[align=center]Hi Wayne,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I found the below TSB for 05 Impala[/align][align=center]TSB #03112005 -- TICK OR KNOCK NOISE FROM THE TORQUE CONVERTER FLYWHEEL FLEX PLATE. *EH (NHTSA ID #10014861, MARCH 11 2005[/align][align=center]
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:TORQUE CONVERTER
[ul][*]TSB #3365A -- TICKING OR KNOCKING NOISE CRACKED OR BROKEN FLEXPLATE. VARIOUS MODELS INCLUDI[/ul][/align][align=center]Click on below link for more TSB [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrol...005/tsbs.shtml[/align][align=center][/align]

[hr]

[align=center][/align][align=center]I will continue to search, and contact my automotive sources,[/align][align=center]for information.[/align][align=center]Good Luck `Wayne[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM

I ordered parts today from ZZPerformance. Talked to Tim. He said that the next thing to go will be the transmission input shaft unless I change the torque convertor to a lighter unit, ie, theirs. I trust them, so I bought a new 2500rpm stall torque convertor along with the Meziere flex plate. Total including shopping, just undet $870.
ZZP is saying, unless I'm misunderstanding, that this convertor will shave 1/2 second of my 1/4 mile time, with only this mod. They are EIGHT pounds lighter than stock!

Link:
https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...&catid=105
Cost of labor in this project to be between $520 and $600 depending on who I have do the install. So there goes my intercooler money, but maybe this is for the best, if it saves my transmission, at least for a while.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM

You're right. They help, considerably. But don't you have to drop the tranny to install the converter? Please let me know how that goes Wayne! =) I'm excited for you! Glad you turned lemons into lemonade.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

ZZP is saying, unless I'm misunderstanding, that this convertor will shave 1/2 second of my 1/4 mile time, with only this mod. They are EIGHT pounds lighter than stock!
HOLY ****!!! That is awesome!!!! Definately worth it for a full 1/2 second.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 AM

Yes to dropping the tranny, but the motor stays in. Been there, done that once before. That's why the $575 to install. I'm also doing another tranny service, changing the filter and switching to Dextron IV, per ZZPerformance.
If this is true about the 1/2 second, yes, I DID just turn lemons into lemonade. I don't feel quite so bad about spending the $1,500 if it helps the performance THAT much.
Going to do a full service, too: rotate tires and oil change. Thursday, it looks like.
Still looking at installing the intercooler, roller rockers, pipes, and dyno tuning this spring. Then it will be time for a RACE trans', because this one will probably go BOOM!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 AM

Hi Wayne,
Please keep up updated on your progress. It's great that you have the tools, and
experience to work on your own car. Can't wait for the completion, and to
hear about the difference that your modifications make.
I can visualize your Monte lined `up against Lucy : ) []
Look forward to your future posts.
Wish you good luck and a easy install.
Peace/Out
`Space

Quick Reply: 2nd Broken Flex Plate