Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2006 SS Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member
Default 2006 SS Engine

What engine is in the 2006 SS? I have been searching and have been hearing mixed things but if im not mistaken its LS4 with 303 hp correct? The dealer I bought contacted me, I bought my intimidator to re-establish my credit. Looks like they want me to trade in and move up the bracket to a little more expensive car. I look through their site cause obviously I wont get a car I don't like and they have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. I do want a V8. It has 102,000. My intimidator has almost 139,000. Oh and this 2006 is not black. IM really debating this. Yes I have done a lot of mods to my monte but isn't that the fun it having a clean slate to start all over??? haha.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:36 PM

In Wiki we trust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...6.E2.80.932007

Yes, it's a V8.

If you're really into modding, I don't have hard evidence to back this up, but I feel like a majority of the mods on MCF.com are on the original 6th gens, not the "refreshed" 6th gens (i.e.-7th gens). Again, I don't know it for fact, but I feel like you can have more fun tinkering on an OG 6th gen 3800 than you can on the newer MC's.

Plus, and this can admittedly be true for all FWD cars, but let's say you boost that LS4 and pick up 50 or 75 hp. How many tires are you going to go through with just shy of 400 hp? Every light you leave you're going to be loose, right? Again, I know some of the blown guys here are pushing that HP but some of them also have slicks and track set-ups.

Keep the Intimidator, buy a 4th gen with a small block then stick something stupid in it like a 454.

These are all the ramblings of a sleep deprived father of two kids with sinus infections and tonsillitis. Take it for what you want.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:03 PM
1 Year Member

There is actually a 86 ss for sale about 30 min drive from me for 1800

Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 AM

I'm not surprised they want you to do that as any dealer would. Ideally (for them) you would trade in your current car and finance the difference through them. That way they would be making money from all ends and I'd bet you'd end up paying a pretty decent delta just for a slightly different car.

If you're going to do it, I would de-mod your car first (since you're not going to get an extra money selling the car with the mods), then sell your car private party to get the most out of it. I'd still find out if the trans has been rebuilt/replaced as many have had issues, even stock.

If you've really been wanting a v8 though, I'd strongly suggest looking at something rwd instead. If you wanted to stick with GM, id suggest 3 options in order of increasing price: last gen fbody, gto, c5 vette. The aftermarket and mod-ability of those 3 cars far exceeds the ls4/4t65.

If it's just increased performance that you want, but you want to stick with the monte body, your 3800 has more than enough potential to make all of the power you would want fwd. I'd just take whatever money youd be spending to 'upgrade' cars, and put that towards mods on your current car.

The killer, in my opionion, is the transmission. People modding L67s have found that weak link for years, so starting off with more power and torque doesn't help things as there just isn't much margin left there.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM
1 Year Member

I don't think im going to get the 2006, they have a 2010 charger SRT8 but they wont even talk to me on that one. Oh well their loss. When dealers like that call me I always listen and see what they have to offer. Sometimes they give up. I had a dealer last week call me and I told her what car I had and she said "Honestly I know I wont be able to give you want you want for that car."

Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by farmerjg
Keep the Intimidator, buy a 4th gen with a small block then stick something stupid in it like a 454.
NOW you're talking!!! Not sleep deprived...it's just the relentless quest for POWER!!!! LOL

Old 12-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tweek
I don't think im going to get the 2006, they have a 2010 charger SRT8 but they wont even talk to me on that one.
That's very strange that they won't even talk to you about it, I can't imagine that's much more than a $20k car. I would think only a credit issue or a lack of sufficient down payment would prevent them from talking to you about it.

In either of those cases, I would suggest not getting a different car at all since it sounds like your current car runs and drives just fine. It would be better to save more money and work on building your credit over time.

The worst scenario would be to just barely get approved for bottom tier credit on something because the interest would kill you.