Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2005 ss supercharged, will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Default 2005 ss supercharged, will not idle

Hello, I apologize if I am not supposed to seek help in this forum, it was the only one that my question fit in with.
About 2 months ago I started it up and it would not idle. I was able to make the car run if I pressed on the gas and simulated the idle myself. The problem was intermittent, only happened about 4 times a week. About a month later I took it to a mechanic and he cleaned the air intake and said that if the problem continued that the sensor would need replaced. It ran good for a couple weeks then the problem returned. A week after that I got in and the battery was dead. Took it to Advanced and they said the battery just needed charged. A friend said that he had a similar problem and that I just needed a new battery. Got the battery, but the idle problem is still there. I have started unhooking my battery when I stop for extended periods, this seems to have stopped the no idle problem.
I am thinking a short or something along those lines. I had a remote starter installed and wondered if that could have gone bad and is causing the problem. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, your question is one of many reasons why we have this section on MCF. People often need help with their engines just like you need with yours.

Second, since you've changed your battery and it still seems to be having problems, I would say that you might need to check the MAF sensor. Disconnect it and see if you're still having the same exact problem. If you are, you need to replace it.

You also could be having a vacuum leak somewhere and you will need to find out if/where there is a leak.

I don't expect your remote starter to be causing the problem though. You should be good there.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Smile

I have had the same/ similar problem on three vehicles with the throttle body. One was a GM one was a BMW and the last one was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If and when I started the cars it did not want to idle. When I gave it some gas it seemed to be OK, but when I got to a red light it died or wanted to. In each case there was carbon built up around the throttle body. Specifically it was on the two pins that hold the flap in place. In my case on all three vehicles I just sprayed carb / throttle body cleaner on the two pins and it cleared the problem. When they get built up with carbon the flap does not want to move normally and the computer wants to shut it down.

Take the air cleaner assembly completely off so you can access the TB. Keep the vehicle running and clean both pins/posts until the carbon is removed. You don't have to floorboard it just move it back and forth until the carbon disappears. Also don't do this if there is a dust storm happening in your area because you are sucking in pure air with no air filter in place.

Hopefully this will help your cause and I learned this off of the internet.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM

did you fix this issue , the maf is a good one to pull off and see what happens.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM

Could be a bad IAC motor as well.