Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2004 Intimidator SS engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Imtimadatorss329: I will be selling my 2007 5.3 and tranny less some accessories in about 45 days. It currently has 36,000 miles on it and probably close to 40,000 on it when I sell it. You may not need the tranny because yours is exactly as the one behind mine a 4T65E-HD. The 5.3 will bolt right up and fit without any difficulties in your engine compartment. I have changed the oil on it every 3000 miles and have used Mobil one exclusively since my first oil change at 500 miles on the odometer. It has a KN CAI and a super chip. It will be FOB Salt Lake City. If interested you can email me personally at sbuscemi1@hotmail.com - we can always negotiate the price to make it work for you.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM

I had a 94 yukon gt with a supercharger and I love the sound of the supercharger. whats the order of mods to get that sound, any help is appreciated.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 AM

To make the supercharger scream, a cold air intake or fenderwell intake is a pretty good way to go.
Upgrading to a bigger throttlebody will make it a little bit louder too.
Also, the Gen5 superchargers from the 04+ Grand Prix's are a bit louder than the Gen3 superchargers on our Monte's.
A smaller pulley will change the sound as well, but make sure that you have the proper supporting mods before you drop pulley sizes.

-Riggs.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM

What mods do I need to drop pulley sizes, headers, unbend delete....that kind of stuff?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10942

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Take a few minutes to read these two threads (at least the first two pages of each). Take some notes and if you have any questions, check back.

-Riggs.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Anyone else can feel free to chime in here, but.......

From both my own experience and my research as to what has worked for others with the same engine I would suggest the following route for a basic setup that you could do for under $1000 if you play your cards right:

1.) Scanner - lots of options here. Just make sure that you choose one that is able to scan for knock retard. Tuning software has integrated scanners, you can use one of the OBD2 diagnostic scanners (like AutoTap or similar), and there are gauges that scan as well such as Aeroforce, Scangauge, etc. I have the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and love them. Every time someone gets in my car I get compliments on them (although most of the people complimenting them aren't car nerds).

2.) Headers - If you plan on modding the car at all, just get headers. They can be had for really cheap nowadays, and the price of the cheaper headers is comparable to a downpipe/powerlog setup if not cheaper. This takes care of the u-bend delete as well.

3.) Intake - lots of options here too. You can make one for just over the cost of the filter or you can spend up to $300 for the K&N FIPK. I'd suggest going a cheaper route.

4.) Rockers - the 1.9 modded stock rockers are a super easy swap and work great. They can be had for really cheap as well. You can pull more power out of a cam if you go that route instead of rockers, but you sacrifice reliability and they cost a bit more after you consider what you need for install.

5.) Pulley - An MPS with a pulley is about $100. A press-on pulley will be cheaper. If you plan on changing pulley sizes ever again, get the modular system. With the rockers and headers, you should be ok to run a 3.4" pulley as long as it's tuned properly.

6.) Tune - find someone local with the software that knows what they are doing. Price will vary, but if you find someone with a DHP PowrTuner then they generally charge between $50-$100 for a tune. That is less than the cost of a canned PCM, and is tailored to your specific car and modifications.

When you do the header install, I would change to a colder copper spark plug. You may also want to switch to a colder thermostat too but the thermostat won't benefit you that much until you have the fan turn-on points set for the colder t-stat.

All in all, this will make it feel like a completely different car.
If you really want to mod further after you get this far, then there are a few different options for what you can do. Just make sure you read up and mod responsibly so you don't blow up your engine.

-Riggs.

oh, and there is a classified section at this site that usually has a pretty good assortment of mods for cheap....

clubgp.com/newforum

Since the grand prix and the buick regal got the L67 engines in '97, those guys have been modding these engines for a while. You can find a lot of information on that site as well as a few other w-body sites too.

-Riggs.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 PM

just thought it might be cheaper swapping a ls4 and get the bonus of the sound,
No way in heck- it takes less than $1k in mods to hit 300 crank hp in an L67, an LS4 swap will be WAY more than that.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM

And the LS4 still doesn't sound that great. Needs a new cam.