Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2002 monte ls engine swap question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Default 2002 monte ls engine swap question!

I have a 2002 ls 3400 , first car im a young guy, wanted ss but insurance would of been high since im a new driver so went with an ls really wanting that power from ss 3800 , would an 3800 engine swap into mine be a problem, not wanting to buy monte ss just want the engine, do you ppl on the forum think i would run into problems anyone know any estimated costs for a 3800 series motor with decent miles and labor costs for a shop to install would it be around $1,000? And would my a/c and other things on my car stop working and stuff? Just need some info?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 AM

While i cant answer any of your questions, i can point you in the right direction for your parts
i would check with http://www.moradpartscompany.com/

They are a great bunch of guy's who really know their W-Body 3800 vehicles!

you can also check out their ebay store here http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Morad-Pa...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Shameless plug, i hope i get a discount from them :Grin:

Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM

Dont know what the differences powerwise between the 3400 and the 3800 but I would think it would be more cost effective to check into maybe some bolt on's like intake or exhaust or possibly putting a computer chip in yours. Just my $.02

Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM

anyone know any estimated costs for a 3800 series motor with decent miles and labor costs for a shop to install would it be around $1,000?
You're going to get raped on labor if you take it to a shop, most overcharge for custom work like that. It will be a complete bolt in though, make sure you get the wiring and pcm too.

As for total price if you're having a place do all the work for you- the only place I know that has posted prices for said swap is here:

http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva...e=L67S0005MCLS

but he wants $4400 w/ labor. You should be able to pull it off for $1500 or so if you could do it all yourself though.

How different was the price in insurance-its not like the SS is really any kind of sports car, its just a NA 3800? I usually think if you're gonna pay someone else do the swap, its usually a good time to just trade in for the car/engine combo you want (I'm sure the price difference from an LS to SS is under $4400 in the used market).

Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Once you tell the insurance company the Trim Level of the car, with the Vin# to prove it they up that price until you are 25...

Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

My insurance went from 60/month on a 2001 LS to 80/month for a 2004 s/c SS.
I imagine that the n/a SS would be somewhere in between.

-Riggs.

edit:
I usually think if you're gonna pay someone else do the swap, its usually a good time to just trade in for the car/engine combo you want (I'm sure the price difference from an LS to SS is under $4400 in the used market).
x2.

Unless you did a crazy amount of custom body/interior or stereo work that can't be transferred to a different car, then sell yours and get an SS.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM

For some reason im already gettin raped with insurance, im payin $250 a month, i guess its because i have full coverage and since im a new driver and it is my first car and all that other b/s, so i would expect an ss in my situation to of costed me another $100 monthly thats why i didnt do it, i wish i could get $80 insurance a month but as i get older it'll go down if i avoid accidents and stuff but thx anyways guess i might just cool it with my need for the ss and just chill with my ls i want to take pics of mines but its been crappy week raining and stuff , i been on this forums for few months i will share my car pretty soon, also in a few days im going to pick up a pair of white 6000k hid with both ballests for $75 shipped does that sound like a good deal or has anyone gotten better?

Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Once you tell the insurance company the Trim Level of the car, with the Vin# to prove it they up that price until you are 25...
I knew they had different prices for different trim levels, I just can't imagine the price being that much difference for only 20 hp change.

For some reason im already gettin raped with insurance, im payin $250 a month, i guess its because i have full coverage and since im a new driver and it is my first car and all that other b/s, so i would expect an ss in my situation to of costed me another $100 monthly thats why i didnt do it,
They wanted $350/month for an SS? Jeez, thats insane. You could almost buy another whole car in a year or so...

Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 PM

$80 per month is for full coverage, towing, full tort, some other stuff that I can't remember b/c I'm not an insurance person.

I don't think that the insurance rates would go up significatly for the n/a SS either.
Mine went up that much being as the value of the car was significantly higher (went from a car w/a KBB value of 5k to a car with a KBB value of 14k), was newer, and was a 60hp increase.

Your insurance will go down significantly when you turn 25.
Where you live is also a big factor.
If you get married, insurance drops a whole lot.

I think my insurance went down 50% when I turned 25.

-Riggs.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Currently at <25 and owning an SS

I pay $678.10 every 6 months

Quick Reply: 2002 monte ls engine swap question!