Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2001 monte carlo SS engine problem

Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Default 2001 monte carlo SS engine problem

Good afternoon

for the last week i would start my car and evething would be fine, then after 10 or 15 min , my engine would starts to make some noise. I tought it was the valves, so i haded a oil treatment 3 days ago. The noise became worst day after day

And today the noise comming from the engine became so lound, that i became very consurn, i was trying to locate the sound and then my engine stoped. the car wont start no more, the engine wont even turn correctly. the starter will only be able to turn for 1 or 2 sec before everything goes dead and even then the motor does not turn normaly.

If any body can help me, it will be appreciated.

Peace

Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum, wish it was under better circumstances.

It's tough to diagnose a noise not having an idea where on the engine it might be originating from. Something that concerns me is that the noise was getting progressively WORSE. By chance, how's the coolant? Is there some in the radiator? I'm wondering if this might be an overheat situation. If that's the case, the ONLY hope of restarting it is letting it cool down (where the engine is no where near operating temp). But if it did overheat, even if it restarts cold, you will probably have tons of other issues (could range from warped items such as heads, internal damage, metals that have been stressed beyond their tolerances).

AND if this is an overheat, if there is ANY chance of saving the engine, you want to change the oil and filter immediately (with an overheat, you will have altered the properties of the oil currently in the engine, it's no good).

Again, I am making a complete speculation. Open the radiator cap and see if you have coolant, if you don't see any, ADD SOME, take note of how much you add.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the battery dead? Alternator?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM

what type of engine do you have it will help out to get a general idea to help you out to what to help you check.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

01 SS he can only have the 3800.

When you first heard the noise, did you check your oil and oil levels before adding the treatment?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Good morning

Thanks for the help and welcome, yes i am freeking out.

The motor is a 3.8L V6.

The oil change was done last week, and i changed the oil pan, and i did check the oil level before addind additif.
the water pump was changed and the cooling level check often because of that. did not see any kind of over heating.

The gasket intake was changed , and the gasket for the cover valves.

The spark plugs was changed and the wirering.

Before the engine stoped i just got home and was looking from where the claping was comming, it souded louder from underneet, and its surely just a coecidence but when a turn my weels to have a better look my engine stopped, when i tried to restart it all my gages where jumping up and down and heard relais clicking, like a reset.

since then my engine wont turn, i tried it this morning it did some turn but no results.

Thanks for the help

Peace

Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is just a guess, but if you are hearing a clanking or clapping engine noise from underneath, sounds like you might have 1 or more bad rod bearings.

At this point, it might be best to find a good/trustworthy mechanic to take a listen.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 PM

the engine dying when turning the wheels makes sense cause it as adding load to an engine that has having a hard time idling.

you said you changed the oil pan? why did you need to change the pan? is it the correct pan? could there be something inside the pan that got moved like an oil pick up or crank scraper or baffle or something?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

I changed the oil pan because it was rusted for the rest guess i will have to take apart again, happy times comming soon.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Some update, i was finally able to start my car, but have the same banging sound, i think its comming from my oil pan, will check it and will keep you updated.

Funny do, asside from the banging sound my engine is running smoodly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 monte carlo SS engine problem