Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 LS 3.4 cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Default 2000 LS 3.4 cam sensor

I have a 2000 LS 106,000

Just got my CEL checked and its a cam sensor is there any tutorials on how to replace? Also is there a cheaper alternative to the $36 replacement at advance auto, also If I continue to drive with that sensor failing what will be the consequences? Its like when Im at a complete stop and go to give it gas it will sometimes stall out but if I ease onto the gas from a dead stop it seems fine

Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Problems with continued use: Stalls, bad fuel economy, I suppose potentially no re-starting??

If I recall my 3400 knowledge, you will need to remove the belt and get the power steering pump out (don't disconnect the lines, just unbolt it and lift it out of the way). I want to say it's 3 bolts holding the PS pump in (get to them via access holes in the pump pulley). If I recall, the cam sensor is underneath the pump, one bolt to hold it in and one wire.

As for a lower cost part, try checking RockAuto.com or Amazon. Outside of that, it is what it is unless you go salvage (and IMO just go new and be done with it).

Hope that helps!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Ok cool now which one do I need?

Buy BWD Engine Camshaft Position Sensor CSS895 at Advance Auto Parts

Buy Delphi Engine Camshaft Position Sensor SS10044 at Advance Auto Parts ?

and this was a comment left for one of those parts

Installation requires removal of serpentine belt then power steering pump(front motor mount to access pump mounting bolts through holes in pulley)...time consuming (motor must be supported and slightly raised to get to 3 pwr steering pump mounting bolts)

As of now someone is borrowing my cherry picker, could I just use a floor jack?

Last edited by Justin Myers; 07-09-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM

10 Year Member

The 3400 in the N-body (Grand Am/Alero) require removing the motor mount (as it's side mount). The 3400 in the W-Body (which the Monte is) has two front mounts. I don't believe either have to be removed (and if so, you only need to remove one, no need to support the motor on a Monte for this job).
My guess is that comment you saw was an N-Body owner. Pop the hood and take a look, odds are I am right and you won't need to remove any mounts.

As for the sensor, I have not heard any issues with one vs. the other. I might favor Delphi, as Delphi is the company that makes a lot of the misc electronics on these cars that GM uses out of the factory.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Alright, thanks for the info

Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM

OK so I cant get to the sensor :/
I tried an extension with a swivel head to get the nut off the sensor the power steering assembly wont go high enough, so I removed the alternator and the bracket to try to get the assembly out and no luck, theres something sticking out from the intake manifold blocking the reservoir from from moving... any advice?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM

so I got the pump high enough and wedged a screwdriver to keep it up, I got the screw out thats holding in the sensor I managed to get a flat head under it and the plastic around the screw hole broke and I cant get the sensor on its like somone one glued it on there or somethin

Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 PM

10 Year Member

First that pump should be 3 bolts (I don't recall any nuts to remove them in the past).
I just checked the shop book, other then getting some wiring out of the way, it confirms, 3 bolts to remove the pump (pending someone did not have it out before and mess something up). Attached is a pic from the shop book.

As far as getting the sensor out, there is an O-ring on it. Age may have it "pressed" in pretty good. Could try a couple of drops of WD-40 around the base, try to wiggle the sensor to get the WD in and perhaps it will help it come out. The shop book claims to remove the bolt and lift the sensor straight out (granted, sometimes the shop book is known to over simplify things).

When you put the new one in, they recommend you lube the o-ring with motor oil.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 LS 3.4 cam sensor-showgif.do.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks for all you help Maniac, finally got it out and replaced after having to just walk away from it for a couple times, couldn't to save my life pull the entire power steering assembly "up" so I got it high as I could and wedged a flat head in there and just used a socket wrench with an extension and swivel head, it was a PITA but its done. Now she runs like she's brand new again

Thanks again for the help

Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM

also near my alternator I have an extra harness with nothing to plug into?

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 LS 3.4 cam sensor