Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

5th Gen ('95-'99): 1998 Monte LS - Random Hesitation, Bucking, or Misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Default 1998 Monte LS - Random Hesitation, Bucking, or Misfire.

I have a 1998 Monte Carlo which is giving me a slight hesitation and a bucking feeling around the 2,000 RRM mark when driving. It doesnt show up whiile it is idle.
I have just recently, less than a week, replaced the plugs and wires cause I was getting a misfire on #6. This had resolved the misfiring issue, but now this other issue presented itself.
I thought I knew what it was from a previous problem I experienced. So, I went out and replaced the Coil packs with new Standard DR-39 Coil Packs. I guess I was wrong.
My Car never threw any other codes regarding this when it is happening, I have even checked and there are no pending codes either. THis is driving me nuts.
I had a code about 6 months ago ( 20,000 miles ) regarding the MAF sensor. I am not sure which one it was since I had reset it once and it never came back.

Any thoughts or direction is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by donorlow
I have a 1998 Monte Carlo which is giving me a slight hesitation and a bucking feeling around the 2,000 RRM mark when driving. It doesnt show up whiile it is idle.
I have just recently, less than a week, replaced the plugs and wires cause I was getting a misfire on #6. This had resolved the misfiring issue, but now this other issue presented itself.
I thought I knew what it was from a previous problem I experienced. So, I went out and replaced the Coil packs with new Standard DR-39 Coil Packs. I guess I was wrong.
My Car never threw any other codes regarding this when it is happening, I have even checked and there are no pending codes either. THis is driving me nuts.
I had a code about 6 months ago ( 20,000 miles ) regarding the MAF sensor. I am not sure which one it was since I had reset it once and it never came back.

Any thoughts or direction is greatly appreciated.

What motors in it?
But more than Likely the MAF! (common issue on the older Montes)

Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Its the 3.1 V6

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a quick check for the MAF...

Try un plugging the MAF....
Start it drive it and see if all those issues disappear...
If they do...Then its the MAF....

Its not recommended to drive it for any length of time unplugged...!!!!!

The computer has a what I call a "sample" program...in its memory as far as what the info would be with the MAF plugged in..That would allow the vehicle to run "Normally".....

I know theres some cleaners out there for the MAF...But that doesnt necessarily "fix" the problem...
My recommendation is:
If the test proves that its a bad MAF...Then I would replace it with a new one...Ya there a litle pricey...but its worth the expense IMO.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 AM

I will try this later on this afternoon and report back.. Thanks for the advice. P.S. I much rather have to pay a few dollars for the right solution instead a buch of little fixes that add up to nothing.

Plus if it is the MAF, then you cant get anything easier to replace then that. I kinda wish it is.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Question

Unpluggeed the MAF today and took the car out.. 5 minutes into the drive, it started doing the quick stutter, hesitation again. Any other thoughts what I can be looking for?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Do you think it can be a bad Cat. Converter

Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM

Ok so I took it to my frien who has a better reader than me. I only have Yorque with the Elm 327 adapter. Anyway, Hooked it up annd it is telling me that it is a bad Knock Sensor.

Ironically, it is the cable that I hvae to unplug each time to get to the Oil filer from the top. Checked it this morning and sure enought the connection was loose. If that doesnt fix it, I will be replacing it this weekend.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Default I really need help....

Not the Knock Sensor and Not the Sensor Cable..

Replaced Sparkl Plugs with AutoLite Iridiums
Replaced Plug Wires with Taylor Wires
Replaced Coil Packs
Replace Knock Sensor and Cable

Still freakin does it...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Did you ever find a solution to your bucking problem? I have a 1998 Z34 3.8 L and it jumps rpm's at about 45-50 mph.... check engine lght says it also has a cylinder #3 misfire. my only car and needs to be fixed quickly.... IDk if it has anything to do with it but my car has a recall on the spark plug wires for an engine comp. fire i dont kno much about cars and dont have the money to send it to a pro.

Last edited by Latasha; 03-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): 1998 Monte LS - Random Hesitation, Bucking, or Misfire.