Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Build: 1979 Monte Carlo Initial Engine Build Questions

Old 06-23-2015, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 1979 Monte Carlo Initial Engine Build Questions

Howdy all!
After 20 years, it is time to do a refresh on my 383. It is burning some oil and the new valve seals didn’t fix it. While I’m at it, I figured some upgrades were in order.

I had planned on picking a Camshaft and then build the motor around that. After discussing it with Comp CAMS, I realized that I was doing it backwards. I should know the compression ratio and heads I’m going to run BEFORE picking my camshaft (Learn something every day!).

I live 45 min Northwest of Des Moines, IA and work in Ames, IA. Sometime after November 1st (or at least after “Cruise to the Woods”) I plan on removing the motor and dissembling it before taking the short block to a machinist. I’ll have them install new bearings, new rings (Maybe go from a 0.030 to a 0.040 bore) and make sure all is well there.

After I assemble the engine back together, I’d like to take it to a dyno prior to installation to set the carburetor and make sure the engine is running as efficiently as possible BEFORE I install it back into the car.

If all goes well, I’ll have it ready to install into the car by March 1, 2016. To start with, I need some advice.

1. I need a competent machine shop to not only do the machine work, but offer advice on modern hot rod equipment.
2. I’d like a competent local engine dyno shop that can tune the carburetor/engine for a performance street application.

I’d like to have everything in Iowa if possible. After I have contact info for each of these, I’ll contact them for recommendations.

I’ll probably lean heavily on you guys as well for practical advice as I move forward.
I will also be considering an upgrade in my camshaft and switching to Aluminum heads.

ANY HELP/RECOMMENDATIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will definitely need to do some research on what your trying to do, can't speak for Iowa shops. My build was done in Adrian, Mi. Aluminum good idea! I will be changing my heads out during winter months early 2016. Good luck with build...