Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

1.6 yella terra rockers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Are you running colder plugs? With 104's and your mod list (more or less) I was able to advance the timing and be knock free with a 3.4 pulley. The only difference is that I have a custom street tune instead of zzp's pcm. No rockers yet
i am running 1 heatrange cooler plugs. There nkg's and not autolite. I plan on switching to 104s when i do the rockers.

I just dont understand why the kr is still there. Its pretty much been the same since i started moding last year. Its maybe gone down 1 or 2* but not much. Maybe its the new england gas. i've run shell vpower since buying the car. The car runs awesome and gets great milage and i always stay on top of maintance. Thats why im hoping the rockers will take care of the kr.

I do need to change the fuel filter so maybe thats part of it, its just giving me problems because the nut is siezed due to road salt, but i told myself im making sure i change it my next oil change, even if i have to cut the lines.

Currently i have just enough money saved for used 1.9 modified rockers and a 3.4 mps. I've been looking for the rockers since summer started with no luck. I guess what im going to do is skip the mps for now and use all the cash for a new set of zzp 1.9 rockers instead of used. If that takes care of all the kr, then ill use my core credit towards the 3.4 mps. If it doesnt eliminate the kr the there must be something else going on, and ill have to fiquer it out when the time comes

Ill keep you updated. Ill order the rockers soon and install a new fuel filter when i install the rockers. Thank you again for steering me clear of the 1.6 and 1.7 yt rockers

Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM

I found some 1.8/1.85 split ratio on clubgp for $200 obo. Are these worth getting? I've been reading and a lot of people say its wise to replace springs with 1.9 rockers but its not needed with the split ratio, and I really don't want to have to replace my springs if I don't have to. I don't mind sacrificing a few ponies to save some cash. If their worth it I may offer him $175 and take them

on another note, with 104 plugs, is there I differant gap I should use or will the factory recomended one be ok

Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Heres what i ended up doing. I bought the used split ratio rockers instead of the 1.9 from what ive read they are close to the power/benefits of the 1.9 but are ok for use on stock springs. I've been reading its highly recomended to do springs with 1.9 rockers, especially with higher shift points like my zzp pcm has. At this time i dont have the time or cash for springs. If im unhappy with the split ratio then ill consider them for next summer.

I also bought 104 plugs, a delco fuel filter, and felpro valve cover gaskets from robbins and a 3.4 mps and rocker bolts from zzp. Hopefully everything will be here by early next week. Then im going to start saving for a dyno tune and performance mods will be complete.

Now all i need to do is find someone that will let me borrow a pully puller and ill be good to go. The track will be closed by the time i install everything so no runs till next summer but i will let you know the hp readings from the aeroforce and eventually from the dyno.

On final question, do i use the factoy recomended gap on the 104s? Thank you for the help