Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

06 3.5L- Low Oil Pressure Turn Engine Off

Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 06 3.5L- Low Oil Pressure Turn Engine Off

Yesterday while driving my Monte on the Hwy, I get a chime, and a message that says "Low Oil Pressure Turn Engine Off," with the red oil light. All of this happens and goes away within a 2-3 second window (I barely had time to read the whole message). Of course I pull over quick, check the oil, only to find that it's full. All appears to be fine and the car is running perfectly fine.

I've done some research online already and it appears to be a common problem with the Impala's (which are the same thing really). Most people are saying it's the oil pressure sensor. So I'm thinking i'll replace it this weekend (the problem has not happened again, but from what i'm reading it gets worse with time).

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced this problem and what the solution was to fix the problem? I'm hoping it's just the sensor. Nobody seems to actually have pressure problems, but I've read a few post from people saying that sensors, oil changes, engine flushes, you name it, nothing is fixing the problem....that makes me nervous. But the most logical thing sounds to me like the oil pressure sensor and I'll try that this weekend.

Feedback from anyone else that has experienced this problem would be great.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Cool

Hi Moderator `Michael,
Sounds like it could `be a bad oil pressure sensor ?

Take your computer to your library & check out
the below links

When completed > Don't 4-get 2 `Flush

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM

10 Year Member

Hey Mike- I'm thinking you're right and it is a bad Pressure Sensor. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I had to change the oil pressure switch on my dad's 08 impala for that issue (bit his low pressure warning was active until I replaced the switch).
It's not hard but gm changed it's location from the previous gens of that block (being the 3100 and 3400).
I only did one of these. I found if you can get the connector popped off, get a oil pressure socket and a long extension, slide it behind the front exhaust mani over to the sensor, spin it off and remove it. When you load the new one in the socket, spin it on by hand (using the extension) and then snug with the ratchet.
I think it took me an hour to do.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM

10 Year Member

Thanks for the feedback Jason. You are confirming exactly what I've gathered through online research, even the method of replacement.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I am afraid this may be in the future on our 08imp got the same message a few weeks ago stoped checked it all was well hasn't been back since

Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 AM

10 Year Member

Yea, I've read that this is an extremely common problem on this generation Impala/ Monte. Mine hasn't come back on either and I've put 300 miles on the car since the light came on that one time. But the part is $29.99 at Autozone and seems to be pretty easy to replace, so I'm just going to replace my sensor this weekend and change the oil while I'm at it.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

10 Year Member

Over the weekend I changed out the Oil Pressure Sensor and changed my oil. Problem appears to be solved, no light. Time will tell if it's solved for sure, but I'm thinking it is.

The sensor replacement was pretty easy and took less than an hour. Taking the exhaust manifold shield off and getting a long extension with 27MM Deep Socket is the way to go. A little tricky getting the new one in, but with a little patience and feeling around, it's manageable. One serious note to anyone out there that tries this repair themselves: DISCONNECT the battery first. I did not and shorted the lead on the starter motor against the socket, sparks flying and made a weld mark on my socket. LOL. Lucky for me, nothing other than the mark on my socket, got damaged. Lesson learned, disconnect the battery. LOL

Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL glad you fixed it.

My rule of thumb is basically, disconnect the negative terminal before doing ANYTHING

Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM

10 Year Member

Yea...that's a good rule of thumb to live by. Didn't even cross my mind until sparks were flying. haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 3.5L- Low Oil Pressure Turn Engine Off