Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

05 motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Default 05 motor mounts

Shop just called me (guy has always worked on all the family's cars for years) and said the motor mounts indeed need replacing as well as complete front brake job. He said it would be 2 hrs labor for the bottom one and 1 hour for the 2 top ones at the out the door(OTD) price of $436.86 for the mounts.
The complete brake job is OTD $139.45 with Ceramic pads. while doing the mounts (as most will already be off the car)e
So the total will be $576.31.

Now I have to get some tires and looking at the Michelin Symmetry's ???

Any input will be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM

$430 for mounts is awfully steep IMO. Are you really sure the top mounts are shot, especially in an 05?

I'd personally do the top ones yourself, and if you don't have the equipment, then let them do the bottom two. You could always upgrade to aftermarket polys when you do the uppers too (assuming they're regular wbody ones like the 3800s, 3100s, 5.3's, etc use).

Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I say BS! Any one else? Never heard of the motor mounts going bad on ANY 6th gen!
B.S.!!!
Find yourself a different tech.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

You could replace the top ones in about 15 mins to a half hour...

Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 PM

I've heard of the lower mounts going bad, but I've also read in quite a few places that it only takes about 30 minutes to swap them out in your driveway. And yeah, I changed my upper mounts to polys in about 30 minutes too.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM

I've heard of the lower mounts going bad, but I've also read in quite a few places that it only takes about 30 minutes to swap them out in your driveway.
The lower mounts can definitely fail.

On an '05 though? Not likely. It's usually cars closer to 10 years old that have the lower mounts fail.

As far as the upper mounts? I can't really imagine what problems they could be causing, unless for some reason the rubber is completely deteriorated.

I'd get a second opinion either way. $400+ for motor mounts is a bit pricy.

-Riggs.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 AM

i agree with wayne. $400 for engine mounts is complete BS. as stated before, you can replace them with poly mounts for a fraction of that price. i would give the mechanic a call and tell him that too and ask him what the hell he was thinking!? why does it seem 90% of the mechanics out there try to rip us off? there are too many stories of this kind on the MCF...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Cool

Well went to look at the car while he was doing it and well I guess CARFAX must have missed something before I bought it. The bottom motor mount was totally ripped apart and on the the uppers the paint on the underside of the mounting struts was cracked and chipped I guess due to flexing.
Yes I guess it was a lot for the job but I did see the parts and he even fixed a few other items. His thought were it must have been wrecked by hitting and/or went over a curb/bump or something as he showed me some gouges in the under carriage as well as muffler mounts bent back.
When it was still under warranty they had to replace the catalytic converter and a section of pipe along with a few parts when they did a alignment on it when we first got it.
So now that make a little more since as why it needed them so soon. I use to have a monster garage (as the neighbors called it) before I got sick and needed a liver transplant causing us to move. I would have done it in the past myself but now living in a condo as well as physically I have to have someone else do it for me now.

I appreciate all your comments/suggestions and you are a great tool. If not for your comments I would have not gone there to look for myself thus helping me solve part of the mystrey.
If you have any questions about boats click on the link below and you will find me there and I be more than happy help YOU.

Thank You again my forum friends .

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

As for your tires...We have Michelin Symmetry's on my mom's 00 bonneville. They have been good so far. But IMO, you can find tires just as good, or better for cheaper. The only reason we got the symmetry's on the Bonne is because we got them all 4 free due to a large store credit at Costco.

Go to TireRack.com and look at all the tires available for your size. Then read the reviews/ look at specs, and compair prices.

Like I said, the Michelin Symmetry are good, but there is more bang for your buck available. And if you are hell bent on getting Michelins check on tirerack still. I think for a few bucks more, or about the same, you could get a better tire made by michelin. Plus I think tirerack is offering a $70 rebate with the purchase of 4 Michelin tires right now.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM

I changed out my lower motor mount last weekend in my 04 Monte with 104k miles on it. From my GTP friends those mounts go out fast. So my Monte now has a solid engine mount and the engine sits where it should.

Quick Reply: 05 motor mounts