Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

04 trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Default 04 trans problem

this morning on my way home from work my trans was shifting really hard, slipping a little, and grinded once. My monte has over 54k miles and I'm wondering is a trans flush would fix this and how much that usually costs as I am in debt and cant spare much $$.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

trans flush wont' fix it unless the tranny fluid is burnt and not red. check the fluid

warm the car up, shift it through all the gears, keep it level and check.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 PM

when did it last get a tranny service, and don't jump on that it usually costs 100-200 depending on filter, I would stick to what Chibi suggested and if the fluid is dirty as hell then get a service but i say dirty as hell as in no red in it.

Chances are if its having that issue and you change the fluid and filter you may make it worse or better. Trannies are funny one symptom can mean 400 different fixes. Tips i have been told is wait till it dies and in the mean time save up.

Also you can wait and when it gets real bad hit a tire in the road (of hit it with one) and then hope the tranny is hit hard as hell and insurance covers it.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM

15 Year Member

I wouldn't go with the fraud route lol

But drive it out, check the fluid then see.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM

not really sure how to check the fluid...only thing ive ever checked is the oil haha...im new to working on my own vehicle...it took me 2 hours with the proper tools to install my k&n intake which is pretty sad...should have taken me all but 30 minutes.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM

15 Year Member

First off, my K&N took me a good 1.5 hours to install. So don't feel too bad. I take my time and make sure everything is done properly. Just doing it yourself will make you feel good.

I told you how to check the trans fluid lol. Maybe you need me to hold your hand a little more, it's okay I'll get more detailed if you need me to.

First, if you drive your car hard / in the city, don't check it for at least an hour after you are done driving. If you haven't driven yet today, go ahead and start your car on a nice level (flat) piece of pavement / driveway. Go do that... I'll wait :P

Okay now you can read on. While the car is warming up to normal operating temperature (~10 minutes) just hand tight. When it gets warmed up, get in the car, and shift your lever slowly through all the gears. I usually throw the parking brake on, keep my foot on the brake and go straight to 1. Then slowly go through each gear and back to park.

Now get out of the car, pop the hood and look towards the rear of the engine bay. That's where your dipstick for the transmission is located. I think it's red? you know how oil is yellow. I wanna say Tranny is red, but it should be labeled. Now pull the dipstick out and carefully touch the fluid with your hand. Take note of the temperature (i.e. cold, warm, hot) Then take a rag and wipe the dipstick off (like with oil) and then put it back in all the way, then pull it out for the proper reading.

If the fluid felt cold, then it should be at the lower section. If it felt warm/hot the level should be in the upper cross-hatched area of the dipstick. If you need to add more fluid, you can do so from the tube you are reading from, just make sure you use a funnel and pour slowly, and check after little bits each time. (should be a pint to raise warm fluid from lower section to upper)

While you are checking the tranny fluid, make sure you see the color and smell. If it's dark colored and smells burned you should change it, if it's just red and normal smelling (if you have a small pint of tranny fluid you can compare) then it's fine.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM

thank you very much...i'm going outside...having a smoke and doing this...i'll give an update as to what i find

Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM

it looked in between...some red but a little dirty too...didnt really smell anything but then again i have allergies and can't smell a thing lol

Old 07-25-2009, 08:41 PM

well...i went out last night and whatever it was seemed to have worked itself out...i really appreciate all the help from everyone