Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

'04 SS Intimidator w/ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default '04 SS Intimidator w/ supercharger

Hi everyone.
I'm looking at buying an '04 but have never had a car with a supercharger in it.
Are there any concerns I need to worry about? I heard they are very expensive to repair if the s/c goes. For maintenance, anything I need to worry about (oil change, etc...)?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Default RE: '04 SS Intimidator w/ supercharger

[align=center]Hi Rick, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]We have several members with 3.8L SuperCharged Monte's.[/align][align=center]Be Patience, and I'm sure they will post the information[/align][align=center]that you need.[/align][align=center]You can also Post a message to Member ExplosiveSoundz[/align][align=center]below. He has a vast amount of knowledge about[/align][align=center]theIntimidator, and also MCF Member 04Intimidator[/align][align=center]Let us know `if you get it.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

ExplosiveSoundz
Keegan Smith

E-mail ExplosiveSoundz

Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM

I had a 2004 SS, with the 3.8 supercharged engine. I had absolutely no problems with it, mind you, I only had about 63,000 km (about 40,000 miles) on it when I traded it in. I don't remeber seeing anything in my owner's manual about the S/C requiring any specialservicing, and as far as I know, there never was any servicing done, and I had it looked after by my Chevy Dealer while I had it.

I have heard stories that the bearings in themare something to be aware of, but I don't have any info on exactly what theexpected life span would be.

I'm sure there are some members here that have the same engines with a lot more miles on them than I had, and I'm also sure you will get some more responses.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 PM

There isn't much maintance to do on the supercharger except change the oil about every 30,000 miles & if the bearings do go bad they are pretty cheap if you replace them yourself .

[/align]

Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Hey sorcier11, welcome to MCF!

I would take that Intimidator if I were you. It is an excellent car. HOWEVER, even if the stock M90 (supercharger) were to go bad, as in, bearings wearing, or the coupler wearing, the cost of even a slightly used M90 is literally only a few hundred dollars, and even better than that, to repair it yourself might cost less. There are a few guys here that have taken modifying the Intimidator to the next level. Three to be exact. Dan (04Intimidator), Wayne (RocknSS04), and Me. All three of us have added smaller pulleys, and supporting mods, and I think you will find that soon after your purchase, you will also do the same. Feel free to PM me at any time if you have any questions, and also, Dan is extremely knowledgeable in this area, mainly because he was the first one to start the mods, that I know of, on this website on the 04 Intimidator. Good luck and keep us posted!!\

-Keegan

Old 10-26-2007, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the info. I did buy the car and will be picking it up tomorrow morning (Saturday). Pretty excited about it. Traded in my old faithful 1993 chevy truck 4x4 for it... and Dale Sr was my hero for racing so..... dream car for me :-)
We bought a 2004 LS red MC for a couple of years ago and decked it out with graphics and all so we'll now have two of them in the driveway.
I built my own FWI for it and intend on doing the same with the Intimidator. Next will be putting on new performance rotors like we did for the LS.
Time for me to do more research on mods for this baby but, even though it will be a daily driver, we're going to try to keep the collector factor with it as long as we can. I'll keep checking around this site for info and thanks again for the welcome too.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Well you could always do what I am doing.. I am working on it to make it a performance car, and saving all of the original parts... incase I ever wanna install it again and sell it to a Sr. fan. Check out my website, I am, so far on this website, the only guy that is documenting his steps in modifications.

http://www.myblownss.com

check it out, and please, keep us updated! You'll LOVE the pull it has from 45mph and above.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Oh, and congratulations on your purchase, you WILL enjoy it. It is a great ride, has a great look, and has alot of pickup.

Just don't forget, just like it says on the inside of that fuel cap door. PREMIUM ONLY!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member

Yes... the sales guy made sure to remind me. But, compared to filling up 22 gallons in the truck, for a bit more money per gallon and getting more miles per gallon compared to the truck, I will be saving some money... at first anyway :-)
I'll check out your site further. Took a quick peek at it and looks real good.
Thanks for the encouragements too.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Welcome Rick from Ontario.
The L-67 engines are virtually bullet proof. If anything ever happens to the blowers, it is VERY rare, but like any car, something does happen. Pontiac has been using these motors for about a decade now.
I was at ZZ Performance yesterday getting my PCM re-flashed (the security system kept them from re-flashing. I got a new PCM. No mor granny shifts). They have a '00 GTP on the dyno. It has the L-67 with the blower gutted and a block off plate on the pulley end. Turbo on the other end. This thing, not done yet, is pulling 474hp at the wheels! That's almost 600hp!
from a 6 cylinder!
I LOVE my L-67. I have almost 300hp, and get over 25mpg. Bullet proof!
Assuming you get it, do at least 2 things right up front, so they pay for themselves.
1. Install a cold air intake, brand un-important. Worth 2mpg
2. Install the ZZ Performance 3" stainless downpipe with Magnaflow cat' converter. Worth 1-1.5mpg. Throws no service codes. Others do.
Everything else adds hp, but not mpg's.
Enjoy it, and post pics when you get it.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Quick Reply: '04 SS Intimidator w/ supercharger