Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 04 MC SS has trouble idling

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Default 04 MC SS has trouble idling

Hello everybody!

It would seem that my monte (actually my brother's monte but he's had basic training so its mine to take care of rightnow) has an idling issue. It had been sitting for about 3 months without being started up until this past week. The gas in it is also that old. (Will be putting new gas in it shortly)

What it is doing is it starts up rough, idles fine for a few seconds, then starts jerking around. (Literally making the car vibrate) The rpm's bounce around from 600 or 700 up to anywhere from 1000 to 2000 and then when I think its finished doing that, it stalls out. The only way I can get it started again is if I turn the key and then quickly hit the gas to keep it from stalling out again. It is also leaking antifreeze and I have found that it is leaking from somewhere above the oil filter. It also is displaying in the notice box that it needs an oil change. Also when I start the car up, white exhaust comes out of the tailpipes, but when the motor starts to jerk around and act like its trying not to stall, blueish black smoke starts coming out the tailpipes, and now there is a layer of black sut in the tail pipe itself.

Please help me out!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Spiked
Hello everybody!

It would seem that my monte (actually my brother's monte but he's had basic training so its mine to take care of rightnow) has an idling issue. It had been sitting for about 3 months without being started up until this past week. The gas in it is also that old. (Will be putting new gas in it shortly)

What it is doing is it starts up rough, idles fine for a few seconds, then starts jerking around. (Literally making the car vibrate) The rpm's bounce around from 600 or 700 up to anywhere from 1000 to 2000 and then when I think its finished doing that, it stalls out. The only way I can get it started again is if I turn the key and then quickly hit the gas to keep it from stalling out again. It is also leaking antifreeze and I have found that it is leaking from somewhere above the oil filter. It also is displaying in the notice box that it needs an oil change. Also when I start the car up, white exhaust comes out of the tailpipes, but when the motor starts to jerk around and act like its trying not to stall, blueish black smoke starts coming out the tailpipes, and now there is a layer of black sut in the tail pipe itself.

Please help me out!
Black soot could be the car is burning oil or just dirty fuel. Try cleaning the air filter and maf. Put some fuel/engine cleaner stabilizer in the fuel. Thoes all sound like basic car sitting problems that other guys on here have more experience with. However the leaking coolant is most likely your coolant elbows which are located on the left side of you engine under the alternator. Also welcome to the forum. Hope some other guys chime in here.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks dbaldwin! (By the way this is my new account, the other one was my brothers)
I will definatley get the injector cleaner! and post some pics

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxfallen-comradexx
Thanks dbaldwin! (By the way this is my new account, the other one was my brothers)
I will definatley get the injector cleaner! and post some pics
Ok. Its nice your brother has you to look out for his car while he's in training. I came back from basic to find my saturn accidently backed into several times by my mom haha.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Ok. Its nice your brother has you to look out for his car while he's in training. I came back from basic to find my saturn accidently backed into several times by my mom haha.

Oops haha that would suck

Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 PM

Okay so it was dirty injectors. I put some injector cleaner in the tank and it is running MUCH better! Thanks for the responses!

Old 11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxfallen-comradexx
Okay so it was dirty injectors. I put some injector cleaner in the tank and it is running MUCH better! Thanks for the responses!
Glad we could help. Glad that the monte is running well now!

Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Now to get a new MAF for his car. I think I'll let him buy that though (: