Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

02 monte ss

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 AM
1 Year Member
Default 02 monte ss

I have a bone stock Monte Carlo SS other than a cold air intake. I want to put a exhaust on it. I have seen several videos. And magnaflow seems to sound the best. Just not sure what size I want to go to. If I should do a 3 inch exhaust or not. Does anyone have any opinions on this. I'm sure it is largely takes about. Any help would be amazing. Thank you!!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barnacle14
I have a bone stock Monte Carlo SS other than a cold air intake. I want to put a exhaust on it. I have seen several videos. And magnaflow seems to sound the best. Just not sure what size I want to go to. If I should do a 3 inch exhaust or not. Does anyone have any opinions on this. I'm sure it is largely takes about. Any help would be amazing. Thank you!!
Magnaflows are gonna give you the most/best sound for your money. I have borlas and a resonator delete which is the best sound iv heard by far but darn expensive. Haha. Unless you plan on turbo or supercharghing leave it with a 2.5" exhaust. The 3" isn't going to do your exhaust gasses any gpod beacuse they will still be having to squeze out the stock exhaust manifold, then through the crappy GM down pipe and around the O2 sensor u-bend. For behind the cat, unless its a show car, just focus on mufflers. If you want some performance boost look at the exhaust system before the cat to get the most for you're money.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Magnaflows are gonna give you the most/best sound for your money. I have borlas and a resonator delete which is the best sound iv heard by far but darn expensive. Haha. Unless you plan on turbo or supercharghing leave it with a 2.5" exhaust. The 3" isn't going to do your exhaust gasses any gpod beacuse they will still be having to squeze out the stock exhaust manifold, then through the crappy GM down pipe and around the O2 sensor u-bend. For behind the cat, unless its a show car, just focus on mufflers. If you want some performance boost look at the exhaust system before the cat to get the most for you're money.
X2, totally agree with Dave, do not go any larger than 2.5", as you would actually see a loss in performance with a 3" being your still stock.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM
1 Year Member

Yes I was gonna just focus on mufflers for now. And res delete. Then I eventually was going to put headers on the car. Thank you for the replies

Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barnacle14
Yes I was gonna just focus on mufflers for now. And res delete. Then I eventually was going to put headers on the car. Thank you for the replies
I've heard that with the magnaflows and the res delete it gets really raspy and killer drone. Here's a link to my exhaust. 2002 monte carlo ss exhaust, resonator delete and Borla mufflers - YouTube

get the magnaflows first and see how you like the sound. If you want more than a res delete is $70.