Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

01 3.4 transmission no gears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Unhappy 01 3.4 transmission no gears?

hey everyone i just picked up a 2001 monte carlo 3.4 auto transmission, well im not much of a GM guy so few questions. My first question is if i was gonna change the transmission (as i think that im going to have too) do i have to drop the motor out the bottom along with transmission as a complete subframe assembly? or can transmission be taken out alone, or could my problem lie else where? maybe a TCC Solenoid? There is no check engine light on, the abs/traction light is but im assuming a bad WSS nothing to do with transmission. but my whole problem is it will not go into any gear. all gears seem like its in neutral. any help is much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the transaxle does need replacement then yes, the subframe assembly needs to be lowered. Sometimes drive train codes will be stored in the PCM and not trigger the CEL. A Tech II or equivalent scanner is required to retrieve the code(s) if they are present. Since you have no gears though you'd need to contact a mobile mechanic that has the correct scanner to retrieve code(s) and history data from the PCM to determine if it's bad solenoids or something more severe.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the transaxle does need replacement then yes, the subframe assembly needs to be lowered. Sometimes drive train codes will be stored in the PCM and not trigger the CEL. A Tech II or equivalent scanner is required to retrieve the code(s) if they are present. Since you have no gears though you'd need to contact a mobile mechanic that has the correct scanner to retrieve code(s) and history data from the PCM to determine if it's bad solenoids or something more severe.
not much of a internal transmission person but can the solenoids actually cause no gears at all?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO it's unlikely that the solenoids would cause no gears at all. I'm leaning more towards broken internal components. Fluid level is good? Other than that I can't really think of anything else.

Edit: Maybe a bad torque converter?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM

i fugured, also figured the whole sub frame had to come down as well, terrible job on the ground! thanks tho guess im gonna just change trans

Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 AM

I changed the transmission in my 2001 Monte LS 3.4 and I built a support frame to go across the engine to each fender . I used this frame to hold the engine up so I could remove the bottom engine cradle. I left the front motor mounts attached for stabilization and just removed the lower mounts. Once the cradle has been removed you can remove the transmission from the engine with it suspended. Doing it this way elliminates the need to disconnect the air condition lines and other connections. I forgot to mention that you first must remove the drive axles. I built the frame assembly with 1 1/4 box tubing. Two legs on each fender lip with a box frame welded to the legs. The I connected a short chain from the frame to the engine This was much easier than pulling radiator hoses, AC lines, electrical cables, etc. I also removed the exhaust from the manifold and removed the complete exhaust pipe and muffler assy. just to get more work room underneath the car. The hardest part was getting the car lifted up high enough to work under it and still be low enough for the engine hoist to reach the engine for lifting. All said, it went fairly smoothe.