Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

What wash mitt do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
1 Year Member
Default What wash mitt do you prefer?

Hey everyone, so tomorrow I don't go into work till later in the day so I was going to go get some new supplies and wash my Monte. My question is, what kind of mitt do you guys prefer? or do you guys even use a mitt? There are a ton of different kinds to choose from such as chennile mitts, lambs wool mitts, sheep skin mitts. When it comes to washing your car, what do you prefer to use? Also what kind of soap do you guys prefer, and does the type of soap really even matter? I have been using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner which I like, but I'm down to try other stuff.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have 2 chenilli from harbor freight, use them with 2 bucket wash system with grit guards and chemical guys citrus wash n gloss, or for rinseless option i use 10-12 high quality microfibers and optium no rinse, car wash soap does depend on what you are doing, but for regular washes Megs gold class is fine

Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I use a couple of Carrand chenille microfiber mitts - one for the body/glass and one for the wheels. A stiff bristle brush is used to clean the tires/wheel wells and a soft bristle brush is used to clean in and around the emblems/roof rail area.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM

I use a couple Marino Wool mitts, as stated above 2 bucket system, one bucket for soap and second to rinse. Use grit guards in the bottom some when you rinse scrub the mitt on the guard to keep the contaminates off the mitt, prevents you from adding swirls in the clear. Also go with 2 mitts, I use one for above the trim line or top of wheel wells and second for below which will have most of the nasty crap on it.

Another couple options are to use a foam gun attached to a hose to make soapy suds to spray on or use a foam cannon with a pressure washer. I use the cannon and then have 2 rinse buckets. The cannon can be found here

http://http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Foam-Lance-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367587227&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=foam+cannon http://http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Foam-Lance-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367587227&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=foam+cannon

Have fun with the cleaning

Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

I usually use a ultra plush wash mitt to clean a 'clean' car, anything else I use a not so plush microfiber sponge or mitt, something that won't trap dirt as much as a thick plush would. Each section I hose down the mitt/sponge to remove any dirt, dunk it in fresh water to remove the rest, then continue with soap.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I like using a "lamb skin" wash mit (not the imitation stuff). I also favor a Harbor Freight wash sponge that is microfiber on one side and a non-abbrassive nylon (for bug guts) on the other side.

Also, I use wash soaps that do NOT contain wax in them.

Those who do more detailing (and detailing for a living) like Jen and Justin, even though they have products they favor, they may also be able to tell you products they don't like (and why).

I'm the guy that when I find stuff that works, I hate to switch (not broken, don't fix it).

Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RonBoySS
I use a couple Marino Wool mitts, as stated above 2 bucket system, one bucket for soap and second to rinse. Use grit guards in the bottom some when you rinse scrub the mitt on the guard to keep the contaminates off the mitt, prevents you from adding swirls in the clear. Also go with 2 mitts, I use one for above the trim line or top of wheel wells and second for below which will have most of the nasty crap on it.

Another couple options are to use a foam gun attached to a hose to make soapy suds to spray on or use a foam cannon with a pressure washer. I use the cannon and then have 2 rinse buckets. The cannon can be found here

http://http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Foam-Lance-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367587227&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=foam+cannon

Have fun with the cleaning
A foam gun one thing missing from my arsinal but need to get a preasure washer befor i can get one for now i use this for presoaks, $12 at harbor freight,

Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
A foam gun one thing missing from my arsinal but need to get a preasure washer befor i can get one for now i use this for presoaks, $12 at harbor freight,

That will work and much more portable than the gun and pressure washer, although the electric models work pretty good for the size......I am afraid of electricity and water personally so I have a gas model.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Griot's Garage microfiber mitt.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Quick Reply: What wash mitt do you prefer?