Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

waxing and polishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Default waxing and polishing

Excuse my ignorance
What is the opinion on how often one should wax?
I just waxed the monte this weekend using Mothers. Came out really nice looking, lasting power seems to be an issue as I have read on other posts so I will have to keep an eye on this.

What's the difference between a wax and polish and when would you apply each?
I've never used a polish before so this is new to me.

And while we are on the topic of finishes any ideas on how to cover up / repair stone chips in the hood and front bumper?

One other thing the rubber seal around my sun roof is all faded any recommendations on how to bring it back to life without damaging the rubber.

GWN

Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: waxing and polishing

First you should use some sort of paint prep or clay bar . Then use polish, then wax. Polish can remove fine scratches in the paint. Wax will last about 3-6 months depending on the wax. The wax protects and fills in any minor scratches that the polish doesn't get. I use the Pro meguiers line with an orbital buffer.

I have that same problems around the sunroof. Mothers makes a product called back to black, I have some (but its in my other car and its at the shop) so I havent been able to to try it.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks,
I went and got a claybar and used it right after I read some posts about it. Never seen or used on before, was I surprised at what it picked up.

I'll have to get some polish for the next time.

Any suggestions on what to use between wax and polishings?

GWN

Old 05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are a bunch of spray on waxes out there that works great inbetween wax jobs. I know meguires makes some and im sure mothers makes one. Some are as easy as spraying it on after you wash your car and wiping it off all in one step. Some companys also sell a paint sealant that also protects well.
You can go crazy with all this car care stuff!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:20 PM

At the rate I'm going Im going to have to section of pat of my shop just for the Detailing supplies.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM

I too work at a detailing shop, and between waxs, we use a product by AutoMagic called Hydrashine. Really great stuff, in between washing and drying you apply the spray product, use a big microfiber cloth to dry the car and your done. It does alot more, goes alot further, and lasts alot longer then any crap quick detailer spray wax type of products. I don't know that this is publically available, but if anyone would like it, I can get you a price.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Great White North

Thanks,
I went and got a claybar and used it right after I read some posts about it. Never seen or used on before, was I surprised at what it picked up.

I'll have to get some polish for the next time.

Any suggestions on what to use between wax and polishings?

GWN
What's a claybar?

Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Default RE:Clay Bar Use

Hey `Jack,

Click the below site for information on Clay Bars
and how to use them.It has some helpful information.

Click below link
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

Old 08-18-2006, 05:04 AM
Default RE: RE:Clay Bar Use

My buddy just introduced me to the Clay Bar for my Monte and it is amazing. Picks up so much too. I never realized how much went into detailing a car until now, but its awesome to see how good it looks and how good it makes you feel when you're done(2 hours later). I'm getting pretty knowledgeable about detailing the OUTSIDE of my Monte, now i'm trying to learn as much as possible about the inside for Leather, Vinyl, carpets etc.

TOM

Old 08-19-2006, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Great White North

Excuse my ignorance
What is the opinion on how often one should wax?
I just waxed the monte this weekend using Mothers. Came out really nice looking, lasting power seems to be an issue as I have read on other posts so I will have to keep an eye on this.

What's the difference between a wax and polish and when would you apply each?
I've never used a polish before so this is new to me.

And while we are on the topic of finishes any ideas on how to cover up / repair stone chips in the hood and front bumper?

One other thing the rubber seal around my sun roof is all faded any recommendations on how to bring it back to life without damaging the rubber.

GWN
How often you should wax depends on the product you last waxed with, as some are more durable than others. The way I can tell it's time to wax is when water no longer beads up on the surface.

The difference between wax and polish is pretty simple, polishes are paint cleaners that generally use abrasives or chemicals to remove paint that has been discolored by impurities and/or oxidization. Waxes protect the finish the polish leaves. A big misconception is that wax contains no abrasives, but many of them do. This is why layering coats of wax is a waste of time, depending of what product you use, because the abrasives in the wax will remove the first coat as you're applying the second. But products like S100 (One of my favorites) has no abrasives and makes the paint look wetter and glossier the more coats you put on.

Depending on the condition of your paint, you may not need to use a cleaner or clay bar, you can wash/polish/wax. After you wash and dry the car, put your hand in a plastic grocery bag and rub the back of your hand lightly over the surface of the car. You'll probably feel lots of "bumps", those bumps are embedded contaminants and will need to be removed by using the clay bar. After you clay, polish, then wax.

To cover up those stone chips you will have to use Dupli Color touch up paint, or something similar. The best way is to touch it up, sand it, clear it, wetsand it, polish, then wax. I've never been brave enough to do it but i'm working up the courage, especially since solid white is so forgiving.

I recommend Mothers Back to Black as well.

Quick Reply: waxing and polishing