Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Waxes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Waxes

3M would tell you to keep using their stuff, but i've mixed products before. yeah, i'd go over it with meguiars or whatever brand of wax you prefer. i'd think the 3M would be harder to use (since their polish is), but if you enjoy using it, and think it may come out better, use 3M wax.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 PM

i have actually used that at the shop... i dont like it because it is very hard to use.... one of 3ms problems is they do produce alot of products. i find it better to use somebody who specializes in waxes, polishes, that kind of thing....
as for getting that deep shine i use meguires #7
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...or_glaze_page2
and while that is drying i put on a thick coat of either past wax or carnuba.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:10 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

#7 is great for the plastic bumpers too. It keeps them moisturized. It could possible prolong spider cracking of the paint due to the extream weather changes (like us in the snow belt).

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 PM

i have heard that....

previously i was talkin about a cougar.... at the shop we got a 70' black xr7. 12000 miles on it. its in really good shape no rust or anything. i might drive it a few days here coming up could be fun!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 AM

ICE Wax = garbage

It's ok for polishing hoods/bumpers with lots of rock chips, to keep from getting wax build up in the chips, but other than that it's a waste of money, IMO.

When claying your car, you should always polish it afterwards to get rid of the micromarring from the clay. Wax isn't supposed to provide the shine, it's supposed to lock it in and protect the paint.

I've yet to find a wax that can compare to S100, at least over the counter stuff at a price point of $20 or less. It can be had at your local Harley Davidson dealer for $15 and I promise you it will be the easiest wax you've ever applied and/or removed, not to mention it's one of the most durable, lasting on average 2-3 months. Personally, I use it as a Sealant topper, that way I get the extended durability of the Sealant (5-6 months), with the warmth, depth and added protection of a carnuba wax.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM

i will have to take a stop in at the local harley shop down the street!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: inssanity21

i will have to take a stop in at the local harley shop down the street!
You won't be disappointed. The stuff is easily the most user friendly product I've ever used, it can be used on all exterior surfaces of your car except for your tires; it won't stain rubber trim, doesn't dust, not only can it be used on the windows but I highly suggest you do, and it's just as easily removed 4 hrs after application as it is immediately after application, not to mention it's ok to use in direct sunlight. And unlike alot of OTC wax products, it contains no abrasives and can be layered to enhance the gloss, depth and protection of your paint.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM

I HAVE USED THIS P215 BEFORE, IT WAS DECENTLY EASY TO USE BUT THE CAN IS SO SMALL AND THE PAD IS TO SO IT TAKES WAY TO LONG AND THERE IS AN INCREASED CHANCE OF SCRATCHING YOUR PAINT WITH FINGERS AND FINGER NAILS. IF THE CAN WAS BIGGER ID USE THAT.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: inssanity21

I HAVE USED THIS P215 BEFORE, IT WAS DECENTLY EASY TO USE BUT THE CAN IS SO SMALL AND THE PAD IS TO SO IT TAKES WAY TO LONG AND THERE IS AN INCREASED CHANCE OF SCRATCHING YOUR PAINT WITH FINGERS AND FINGER NAILS. IF THE CAN WAS BIGGER ID USE THAT.
I've never used P21S but it seems to be a pretty similar product. Me and my big hands have no complaints about the size of the tub or applicator. Show me someone who has scratched his paint with his fingers or fingernails while hand waxing his car and I'll show you somebody who doesn't know what he's doing. I've applied the stuff at least 50 times and my fingers have yet to so much as touch the paint, let alone scratch it. So any of you contemplating trying this product, don't let this sway you cause I honestly have no clue how one can scratch his paint in the process of hand waxing it, unless you're wearing brass knuckles while doing it.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 PM

the pad is litterally about 3 inches. i have never scratced my car because i care, but my brother who was just using it put a nice scratch in hes not to bright.
in terms of length of protection, i have no idea. no matter what i wax 1 time a month with a polish in the middle.

Quick Reply: Waxes