Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

wax/swirls

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Default wax/swirls

whats the best way to get my black to have the car show finish ANDget all those ulgy swirls out of the paint! they annoy me so much!!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Default RE: wax/swirls

Buff it out with some REAL scratch and swirl remover. You have to go to an AutoBody Supply Store and get the 3M stuff. Everything else just don't cut it!

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=M3

Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Meguiars and a Porter Cable....

Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: blackice

whats the best way to get my black to have the car show finish ANDget all those ulgy swirls out of the paint! they annoy me so much!!
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `Deric, After you washed your Awesome Monte Carlo,[/align][align=center]I would `Clay Bar your finish first.[/align][align=center]Member `Craig has done some awesome work on his[/align][align=center]06 Black SS...I will search for his post information, &[/align][align=center]Post when I find. There are many great products out today,[/align][align=center]but I like Eagle One, but I hope that our member's will[/align][align=center]post what they like best. Good Luck, `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Below is a Post on Detail Tips[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_35477/tm.htm[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 AM

DO NOT wax in circles.. i dont care what the bottle says.... you will still get them. Waxing in circles adds to the problem, especially on dark colors.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 AM

[align=center]Hi Deric, below is one of the detailed post by our talented graphic artist `Craig [:-][/align][align=center]
AKA Member Propitious

[align=center][/align]

I worked today, and like every Saturday I work, I parked my car in the prep bay, go inside to tell the boys & girls where they can find me if they need me and then I detail my car.

Well, I washed and dried the car, and then grabbed the DeWalt, but I did not look to see how it pad was rigged.

LESSON #1on what not to do
Grab a high speed polisher and don't check the pad assembly before laying it on your hood and turning it on!

Yes Sir! Somebody put on some funky plastic pad lock and yes it spiralled groved my hood about 18". So, I didn't have a lot of money on me, and I knew Scratch X wasn't going to wipe this one out, and I bought a can of Turtle Wax's Rubbing Compound.

LESSON #2 on what not to do!
Get cheap when working on your car!

YES Sir! I started applying this $2.99 compound with the cheap applicator came with it. Rubbed it on and when I wiped it off... I had half a hood full of DEEP scratches!

SO... Not only do I have a spiral grove running up my hood, but a bunch of DEEP scratches too!

LESSON #1 on HOW TO DO IT RIGHT!
Go to your favorite auto supply store andget a sanding block, some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, a bottle of Meguiar's #1 Medium-cut, a bottle of #2 - Fine-cut, a bottle of #3 Scratch and Swirl Remover, a bottle of Machine Glaze, and a bottle of #7 Showcar polish. I had this stuff, so all I had to do was drive home.

STEP #1: WET SAND DAMAGED AREA
Have a bottle of water with a very light mix of Meguiar's Crystal wash. load your paper into the block and wet it down and then spray the area you plan to sand. Keep the bottle in your left hand, and sand using light pressure back and forth while keeping the area wet (18"x 18x") is a big area to work at one time. After every10 strokes, spray and wipe off and inspect. If the scratch is still visible, repeat until the scratch is gone.

In my case, one small spot was so deep, I actually started removing paint (about the size of a dime). Not a big deal for me, black car, a quick shot of paint and we are ready to continue. No custom mixing or metal flake to contend with.
Light Sand, Quick shot of clear and another light wet sand. Well, if the spot was bigger, even black has to be mixed, but because it was so small, I just went with off the shelf black.

Continue wet sanding until all damage is removed.

STEP #2 - APPLY #1 Medium-cut to remove sanding scratches.
Using a Purple Meguiar's foam pad WITH A VELCRO Backing Plate, Attach pad to high speed polisher. Again working in small sections is good. Set RMPs on polisher to 1800 and rock and roll. Apply product to the damaged area and pick it up on the wheel. Medium pressure at first and then slowly ease up on the pressure until you are just letting the weight of the polisher to the work. Wipe area down, and then inspect. Continue until the entire damage area has been worked.

STEP #3 - APPLY #2 Fine-cut to remove the scratches from the #1 Compound.
Clean pad or put on a new pad, and process is the same as above.

At this point your repaired area should be looking quite good. I

Old 03-13-2008, 12:20 PM

THANKS GUYS!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM

If you can find it HIgh Temp products are a pro. product and real easy to work with not to mention it is not to hard to find or exspensive.

Also you can make sure that if you wet sand the car make sure you get some 2000 and then also some 3-5000 what ever the finest grit you can find above the 2000.
then repeat wet sanding LIGHTLY!! this will help move the steps along a bit faster for you BUT DO NOT TAKE PAINT ON THE CORNERS AND HIGH Spots.

Enjoy,good luck and have fun.

Also if you wash the car then do the clay bar to it and then wax it you wont beabel to keep your towel from falling off of the car when you put it on there .

Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 AM

My car is a 2000, so naturally an 8 year old paint job is going to show some age and accumulated swirl marks. And being a black car it shows every little imperfection in direct sunlight. Next month when the salt and sand gets washed off the roads, I'm going to try and getthe paintlooking as nice as possible by clay barring it and then waxing it. I think maybe I should buff it at some point, and my dad has a buffer and plenty of compound over at the shop, but buffing is a tough, time consuming, and MESSY job. So should I take the time to buff the whole thing or just stick with the clay bar and wax?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 PM

depends on how bad you want to get rid of the swirls.
Me i dont mind doing the buffing as matter fact i have to do mine to but cant find my freken buffer right now.

But it is really the best way to get the swirls out of the paint is to buff it out

but i would 1. wash 2.clay bar3. buff 4. wax 5 wax 6 wax .

towel off and go for gold with the car knwoing that it will ne safe from mos tthings that will get on to it again. BUT NOTALL THINGS

Quick Reply: wax/swirls