Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Wax + sun = bad! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Default Wax + sun = bad! Help!

So out I went to wax the car after it rained this morning.. Nice cool day, about 17'C, and I noticed the paint wasnt beading anymore, so I figured the wax wore off. Overcast skies, no worries right?

So I gave the old monte a nice washing, good old bucket wash as I we have hard water here. Then I applied the good old turtle wax onto the car.. And waited for the haze. As luck would have it, my youngest fell off the couch and wacked his melon again, so I zipped inside to do the daddy rescue thing.

Then I came back outside, and the horror began. The birds were chirping. THE SUN CAME OUT!

So after 2 hours of trying to buff the wax in, the wax is still not worked into the paint. I want to remove the wax safely and start over.. Whats the easiest and safest way to remove the wax from the paint, without damaging the finish?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Wax + sun = bad! Help!

some body shops use a wax remove product, almost all auto parts stores cary it, it comes in a gallon can, i know there's a proform product i dont know the part # off hand though, other than that maybe some other people may now something you can use other than that,

04montels might be the guy to ask, he's good with that kind of stuff

i've had that happen to me before too, i just put about 5 hours in elbow grease into polishing it off though

Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 AM

[align=center]Read below for baked on Wax & Pictures[/align][align=center]From OuterSpace[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Q: How do I choose the right wax? [/align]
A: (from THessinger, Ask Automotive Expert) This can actually be pretty tricky since all you have to do is walk into an auto parts store and you'll see an entire aisle of products to choose from.
The important thing is to know what kind of finish is on your car; most vehicles today have a clear coat finish. If this is the case with your vehicle, you'll simply need to choose a non-abrasive wax to prevent scratching the clear coat.
If you've had your vehicle for a year or so and it's starting to look a little dull, you may need to opt for a cleaner wax to remove the dulling build-up.
And finally, if your car is fairly old and the paint has oxidized, you'll need to go a step further and use a polishing compound to remove the upper oxidized layer and reveal the fresh color beneath.
Q: Do I need to do anything other than wash my car before waxing?
A: In many cases, even after washing your car, you may feel a slight layer of grit on the finish as you run your hand over it.
To gently and effectively remove the grit, purchase a clay bar product from your auto supply store. This product involves two steps: first, you'll spray a light application of the cleaning solution (sold with the clay bar) on the surface.
Then, working only in the sprayed area (using the clay on a dry surface can damage it), gently drag the clay bar across the area (figure A) to remove the grit residue.
Q: Is an all-in-one wax and polish better than a separate wax and polish?
A: Although a number of car owners still prefer to do these steps independent of one another, there are a number of new products on the market that produce great results with just a single step.
To apply this type of product, rub on a light layer (figure B) using an applicator or soft cloth and a circular motion.
Once the layer has dried, go back over the area with a clean towel, again using a circular motion (figure C) to reveal a beautiful shine beneath.
Q: How do I remove baked-on wax?
A: First, a couple of preventive meausures: 1) Never apply wax in a heavy layer, and 2) Never wax a car in the hot sun. If you do find yourself with excessive or baked-on wax, dilute a little laundry detergent in warm water. Then simply apply the solution with a clean cloth, using a circular motion to remove the build-up
Another problem that can be a little more difficult to remedy is an accidental smudge or streak of wax on a car's black trim (side mirrors and window seals). To effectively remove wax from these areas (figure D), try a tar and wax remover, available in automotive supply stores.
Q: How often should I wax?
A: This depends primarily on the car's environment. If the vehicle is garage-kept, it won't need to be waxed as often, maybe just once a year. For those who live in hot climates (Arizona, California, Florida, etc.), waxing about every six months will help the finish stand up to the abuse from constant sun exposure.
[align=center]Final tip: If you're still unsure whether or not your car is due for a wax, check to see if water still beads on the finish. If it doesn't, start waxing!
[b]

Figure A

[IMG]http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/images/spacers/spacer.gif[

Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 AM

Hey. That laundry detergent thing worked.. Thanks space!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM

Hi `Ian,
You are Welcome...Hope the baby is `ok
When the baby get's older, you will have to teach your
kid how to detail : )
I'm glad that my post helped.
Wish U a `Happy, `Space

Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

so you got her all cleaned off??? good to hear

Old 07-16-2007, 03:28 PM

Yeah its all off now, so I rewashed it and I think Im going to get a product called Tutle wax ICE, any thoughts?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

Yeah its all off now, so I rewashed it and I think Im going to get a product called Tutle wax ICE, any thoughts?
Hi Ian, click the below link and read the post by 04MonteLS `Rich,
he is a professional. If you don't find the answer. PM Rich, & I'm sure
that he will assist you....Good Luck `Space

Old 07-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Hmmm.. Maybe Ill try out Meguirs or a mother's product instead.. A 2 week lifespan just doesnt sound appealing to me.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM

turtle wax ice is amazing in the paste or liquid form that is what i am using know and the liquid form is easy to put on and take off and gives you a great shine but the paste shines even better but is also harder to put on and take off.

Quick Reply: Wax + sun = bad! Help!