Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Well you cant see it now still has black box on it. been 2 weeks I think. Im going to wash it off fri to do some polishing to get swirl marks out. I will take a pic then. Right now it is invisible.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm really happy with the results of Meguiars NXT wax also but found another brand called Surf City Garage - Barrier Reef Carnauba Liquid Wax. I used it on the 03 and really liked the results (but the paint is already in excellent condition. The real will be when I try it on the Mustang and see what results I get with the darker paint color. I'm not a fan of paste wax because I like to use the orbital to apply the liquid form.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 PM

I do everything by hand. I get as good results but takes me a very long time.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 PM
THE JUDGE
10 Year Member

I like to apply it with the orbital and then manually remove it with a microfiber cloth - the orbital puts the perfect amount of wax on the surface - not too much and not too little.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM

How much would one cost? Cus I hand buff the crap out of my car lol would make it easier.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I'm really happy with the results of Meguiars NXT wax also but found another brand called Surf City Garage - Barrier Reef Carnauba Liquid Wax. I used it on the 03 and really liked the results (but the paint is already in excellent condition. The real will be when I try it on the Mustang and see what results I get with the darker paint color. I'm not a fan of paste wax because I like to use the orbital to apply the liquid form.
AMY; I too use NXT. I'm REALLY happy the way it looks. Almost like it's WET ! I did the Chevelle a couple of weeks ago. And when I took it outside. I was IMPRESSED. WOW! What a nice job it does. The Monte is next maybe today after I get some sleep.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Silly rabbit Pledge is for kids. Used it on my kids till they moved out
Tadd: You laugh but. back in the day with the custom van thing going on. Our club put about a dozen of our van's in the Silverdome. WE had about 22 different clubs in there. We had rep's from anything doing with automotive. We had a rep from PLEDGE bring every club a case of PLEDGE for us to use. He did a demo on my friends van. WOW! In a controlled area like that. You can use it. Now that was back in 1978. I used it all weekend Thrusday night during set up all the way to Sunday Morning. Once you sprayed your truck ( VAN) all you had to do was use the same cloth and wipe off any finger prints or what ever else and it was gone. But he also told us. NOT to use it outside CAUSE it attracks Wasps & Honey Bee's . So after the show I gave that to my wife . But that stuff was really slippery. Remember this was 1978. We didn't have a spray wax back then . See what us older guys had to go thru ?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM
THE JUDGE
10 Year Member

We have one from Griots Garage & only runs around $130 + the cost of foam pads - it technically is a rebadged Porter Cable and it still works great.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
We have one from Griots Garage & only runs around $130 + the cost of foam pads - it technically is a rebadged Porter Cable and it still works great.
I also recommend the Porter Cable. I love mine. Beats the hand application thing by a long ways. I could spend days trying to do paint correction by hand and honestly wouldn't get anywhere, the DA really speeds that up. Could probably do a pretty good paint correction, polish, wax in 6-8 hours now.

Definitely worth it if you detail a lot (sounds like you do). I think I paid around $120 and it came with a few Lake Country pads. They worked great so I haven't even tried any other brand of pad.

Also, X2 on the NXT 2.0 by Meguiars. I used that a few times last summer on my Monte and still use it on my girlfriends Jeep, other vehicles. Gives pretty good results for the price. Doesn't quite give the wet look as much as Zaino does. I really like Zaino's Z2-pro for the Monte though, but I show it every once in a while and barely drive it so I can justify putting a little more $$$ and time into its detail/cleaning vs. a vehicle that isn't always clean and driven in rain/snow etc.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 09-08-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Used black box kit today took a befor pick mike has the afters my phone died so cant upload. But Ziano sounds like it gives a good look. I will try a few out just to see which I like. I always used turtle paste. Liquids and non turtle products are alien to me. I used miguires but guess I did it wrong cus it did not shine like black box.

Quick Reply: wax?