Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Small dent/scratch on my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Default Small dent/scratch on my car!!!!

I was washing my car about a week ago and I noticed a scratch/dent in my paint on the roof. Its above the windsheild on the drivers side. I went to the dealer to get a small thing of touch up paint, but what about the dent? Its pretty small but I will still notice it every time I look at the car. Any ideas?

Steve

Old 01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Small dent/scratch on my car!!!!

dent puller (like a professional guy, not thedo it yourself things)should be able to pull that out pretty easily you'd think...the roof is such a thin piece of metal it should come out easily

Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 AM

I hate'em Sciggy, but i do cover my scratches with the GM tourch red touch up almost weekly. I drive 100miles a day to work on 2 major highways so i get the road rash blues often. I've owned my 1997 MC LS since new and will have it blocked and repainted some day. Regards,,,,Tom H

Old 02-06-2007, 05:16 AM

I got a touch up pen/brush from my Chevy dealer and im slowly building the chip back up to the same level as the rest of the paint. It turns out it went all the way through the paint and primer (I think) all the way to the body. I've done 3 coats so far and its almost up to the same level as the rest of the paint. Then I just have to clear coat it to protect it and I should be good. Hopefully it wont be noticeable after I'm done.

Steve

Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member

after you get it built back up just take some polish and polish it a whole lot of times..and that will kind of rub the 2 colors together and will be less noticable...also the polish will act as a clear as well

Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Any suggestions for a type or brand of polish to use?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member

3m part # 06060 works really well

but any 3m product will work well also...but thats the best one..and its good for all scratches...as long as it doesn't go through the paint..this stuff should polish it out

Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 AM

Dependin on the size of the dent I've heard of an old trick to light dents. I can't say I've tried it myself, but it's reccomended by an auto-body employee I know. If you have access to dry ice (frozen CO2) it's supposed to work real well. If you let the roof get real warm and touch the center of the ding with the dry ice the rapid shrinking of the metal can sometimes pull out the dent. (may need to use a hair dryer to get the metal up to temp) Metal shrinks when cold and expands when hot, so if you get the area real warm (not like boiling, but a good hot to the touch) then hit the center of the dent the super cold dry ice should make the dent pop out. I've seen this done at dealerships to remove hail damage, and was very suprised at how effective it was. Caveat emptor of course, I only mention this method because of it's supporters, and can't back it with first hand experience.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 AM

the dent... u might look in the phone book and see if you guys have somebody where you live that does paintless dent removal like we do here in Indiana. They are REALLY good and it would probably only take them like 10 minutes to fix it and u wouldn't have to repaint anything and would never be able to tell it was ever there