Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Scratches!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Unhappy Scratches!!!

So July 3rd I washed and waxed the car for the first time since owning it and other then a few chips and swirl marks the paint was in awesome shape with no scratches or dings. This past Saturday, after getting back from the store, I noticed several scratches on the hood, roof, and rear deck lid along with a few on the left front fender and right rear quarter panel. I also noticed 2 small dents near the scratches on the hood and deck lid. Of course I was pissed, and had no idea where they could have come from unless some idiot sat on it in the parking lot. I tried some kit scratch out and that made some of them less visible, but didn't completely remove them and left most still visible. They aren't deep but you can just feel them with your finger nail.

Other then a re-clear or using touch up paint is there anything I can do to remove them? Now every time I look at the car their the first thing I notice and it just pisses me off more. Than you for any help

Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I know your feeling... I just found my first door ding on the passenger, rear fender. Who ever did it knew they did too, because they were rubbing the spot over with their finger. It actually left a dent too.... So not F***ing happy.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The body guys will chime in with how to do it. If it hasn't gone past the clear coat you will be in luck and be able to smooth it out using a few methods, such as wet-sanding or buffing them out.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Thank you. I sure hope they didn't go past the clear. Their not huge, but I notice them and that's what pisses me off, lol. Especially since I know for a fact they weren't there a week ago. I bet someone walking by might not notice them at first, but they are the 1st thing I see. My last car I could have cared less about a few scratches, but there's something about this monte that makes we want it to remain perfect. I guess its cause its the 1st car I've spent over 10 grand on, but its also the best looking car I've owned. I know I'm going out tonight and buying a cover for it

Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 PM

If the scratches are all white with no color in them that means its not all the way through the clear and should be able to cut and buff them. I would start with some 2000 grit and try sanding one out and see how it goes. You probably won't be able to completely get rid of it but sanding it out with some 2000 should make it much less noticeable. If you have or can get access to a buffer that spins rather than the orbital type ones you should be able to get a white foam buffing pad and some rubbing compound to take the 2000 scratches out and then use a black pad and some swirl mark remover after all the 2000 scratches are out. I use 3M compound seems to work better than meguires and it cleans up better. To remove the 2000 sanding marks I would use the 3M Perfect IT Extra Cut Compound and to remove the swirl marks I would use the Ultrafina swirl mark remover. It makes for a really nice shine. Then after your done buffing give it a coat of wax.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, bad news. I know that from detailing. As far as bodywork goes, not my cup of tea but zwc sounds like he knows a thing or two about it so maybe you might want to pick his brain a little bit and see if you feel comfortable following his instruction.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by zwc0442
If the scratches are all white with no color in them that means its not all the way through the clear and should be able to cut and buff them. I would start with some 2000 grit and try sanding one out and see how it goes. You probably won't be able to completely get rid of it but sanding it out with some 2000 should make it much less noticeable. If you have or can get access to a buffer that spins rather than the orbital type ones you should be able to get a white foam buffing pad and some rubbing compound to take the 2000 scratches out and then use a black pad and some swirl mark remover after all the 2000 scratches are out. I use 3M compound seems to work better than meguires and it cleans up better. To remove the 2000 sanding marks I would use the 3M Perfect IT Extra Cut Compound and to remove the swirl marks I would use the Ultrafina swirl mark remover. It makes for a really nice shine. Then after your done buffing give it a coat of wax.
Awesome, thank you. I will give it a try.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You cant do too much sanding though, remember your sanding off the clear coat and making the paint weaker there too.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
You cant do too much sanding though, remember your sanding off the clear coat and making the paint weaker there too.
Bingo. if you go the buffing route, be careful with that too, your MOVING clear coat and paint to cover the scratches. too long at one spot (or too fast/hard) and your going to have your monte get a bald spot. haha

Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by vita
if you go the buffing route, be careful with that too, your MOVING clear coat and paint to cover the scratches. too long at one spot (or too fast/hard) and your going to have your monte get a bald spot. haha
Buffing with a rotary buffer results in REMOVING clear coat and/or paint, not moving it. This is why it's very important to use a paint thickness guage before you go using a rotary.

Quick Reply: Scratches!!!