Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Product Preferences

Old 08-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Product Preferences

Hey all, I was just in the process of looking up what I'm going to buy to start detailing the cars and wondered what everyone else liked to use.

Here is what I am looking at getting:
  • Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner
  • Aerospace 303
  • Meguiars Clay Bar
  • Ultimate Compound (will use by hand for minor scuffs and such)
  • Pete's 53
  • Opti-Seal

I feel like this should be a good upgrade to what I usually use, which are already good and primarily Meguiar products.

What do you all use? Anything you guys think should be looked into compared to what I have above?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've used the mother's clay bar kit, I'm now using Adan's polishes car wash kit (love it by the way) and when I wax it's Malco flash wax (u can only find it at the paint supply store).

Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I read a great post on Camaro5 about this.

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07
I get many PM’s asking me “What products do you use for detailing?” This is always a difficult question for me to answer because I use so many various products from many different manufacturers. I’ve decided it would be more efficient for me, and for those asking, to just publish a comprehensive list that I could add to and edit as new products are brought to my attention. You guys have seen many of my product reviews on here, some good, some bad, but always an honest opinion. As such, everything expressed in this posting is only my opinion. I’m far from a product expert or chemist, but I feel that I’ve tried enough things to know what I like.

This took a lot of time to compile, so I hope you enjoy reading it

Washing

Soap-

Winner: AMMO Foam Paint Cleanser- Ammo unseated my previous favorite, Optimum, which I didn't think would ever be possible. It's a little pricey, but on a per use basis, it's not much more than any other quality soap. The foaming, lubricity, and clean rinse are just amazing. Great scent, too. Full review here

Honorable Mentions: Optimum Car Wash, Adam's Car Shampoo
Surf City Garage Extreme Suds Balanced Wash

Waterless Wash-

Winner: Ultima Waterless Wash Plus- I go back and forth on this one, but I feel that UWW+ offers the best combination of price effectiveness, lubricity, and glossy finish. ONR, while not expressly marketed for this use, is a close second for me.

Honorable Mentions: Optimum No Rinse

Rinseless Wash-

Winner: Optimum No Rinse- This one is a no-brainer. I'm not even putting an honorable mention. I would like to try the new one that has wax, but haven't as of yet.

Wash Media-

Winner: Microfiber Madness Incredimitt- Wow. Now this is the perfect hybrid between the softness of a wool mitt and the soap transfer of microfiber. You can't go wrong with this. It also happens to be the most durably constructed mitt I've ever seen. I can't pull the fibers out of it even if I try.

Honorable Mentions:DI reTHICKulous Wool Mitt- This thing is seriously soft on your paint. It's made of long nap Merino wool, so it keeps the dirt away from the paint and slathers on tons of soapy water each time. I'd use one in the shower if they weren't so expensive
Adam's Wash Pad- I actually like the wash pads a lot because they transfer more soap than a merino wool mitt does. It gets second place because they quickly become rough to the touch, and therefore have to be replaced often. Good price, though.

All-Purpose Cleaner-

Winner: GTechniq W2 Universal Cleaner Concentrate- W2 has dethroned Adam's APC as my favorite cleaner for a few reasons. One, it's cheap. It's $7 for 100mL. Second, it's incredibly versatile. Selling as a concentrate gives the end user a lot more control in what jobs can be tackled effectively. Third, it works. I have yet to throw anything at it that it hasn't made quick work of. At 10:1 it's a very capably interior cleaner on leather, carpets, plastics.

I'll add Megs D101 and D103 to the winner's circle here as well, for exactly the same reasons. Gallon sizes are nice.

Surf City Garage APC Concentrate - This one is just as good as either of the others.

Honorable Mention: Adam's All-Purpose Cleaner- This stuff is phenomenal. Makes quick work of tar, built up wax, road gunk...all the nasty stuff. Do yourself a favor and order by the gallon.

Detail Spray-

Winner: Adam's Detail Spray- Bar none, the best detail spray I've ever used. It's priced like liquid gold, but this is one instance I don't mind that. Don't waste it as a clay lube or anything, but definitely keep it in your arsenal for touching up fingerprints or adding a little pop to clean paint.

Honorable Mention: AMMO Spit, Optimum No Rinse

Wheel Cleaner-

I'll preface this one by saying that you should never need a dedicated wheel cleaner if you're properly maintaining your wheels. All that should be needed is a cleaning with soap and water during your wash. However, if your wheels are super grimy, this is what I like.

Winner: Sonax Full Effect- Full Effect makes quick work of brake dust and grime on wheels and turns from green to purple as it pulls out the brake dust. Very effective, but very expensive.

Honorable Mention: Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner- Very nice wheel cleaner. It's very similar to Sonax, but a little thinner consistency. Really a winner, also.

Surf City Garage Active Wheel Cleaner Plus

Paint Decontamination

Iron Removal-

Winner: Car Pro Iron X- This stuff smells like liquid death, but it is effective and easy to use. Makes short work of iron filings stuck in your paint, and turns purple as it reacts so you can see it working. Pair it with a sponge like this

Clay-

Winner: Speedy Surface Prep Towel- This is the best thing to happen to car detailing since the Porter Cable. It saves you hours over traditional claying with no downside. The advantages are innumerable. Pricey, but much cheaper than clay on a per-use basis.

Honorable Mention: Mother's Clay Bar (available at any store)- If you must use a traditional clay bar for something such as wheels or something really nasty you don't want to get on your Speedy Towel, Mother's clay bar is as good as any, it's cheap and readily available.

Clay Lube-

Winner: Optimum No Rinse- At the price point, there is absolutely no reason to use anything else. It's highly effective, and one bottle makes 16 gallons of clay lube.

Dual Action Polishing

I use a PC. I don't know enough about the others to make a recommendation on which DA polisher is the best. The PC works very well and is a tank that has never given me an issue in 100s of hours of use. I recommend 5.5'' pads for the PC, which would call for a 5'' backing plate.

Light Cut/Polishing Pads-

Winner: Buff & Shine Microfiber PAds- I’m in love with these MF pads. Best I’ve tried, beating out my former heartthrob, Optimum. I've never seen such fast correction and still a very good finish. Microfiber is also much easier to clean than porous foam pads- even machine washable! I believe microfiber pads are the way of the future for DA polishers.

Honorable Mention: Optimum Microfiber Pads- These pads are just fantastic. I can’t say enough about them.
Lake Country Flat Pads- You can't go wrong with Lake Country pads. I prefer to finish with a blue pad sometimes after using my microfiber pad- depending on the paint.

Polishes-

This is where it gets ridiculously subjective. Everyone will have a different favorite and there are dozens of terrific options. Don't hate me if yours isn't here

Winner: Menzerna FG400- This stuff impressed me more and more each time I reach for it. It cuts through sever swirls like butter and leaves nearly an LSP-ready finish on almost all paint. It’s basically a true one-stepper for all but softest paints. I like to finish with Menzerna SF4500 sometimes for just that final jeweling.

Honorable Mention: Where to even begin? Optimum Hyper Compound/Polish, M105/205, the entire Menzerna line.. We're really spoiled with a wealth of fantastic polishes that all have their unique strengths.

Glazes (for cheaters )

Winner: Chemical Guy's Blacklight- This one isn't even really a contest. Blacklight by a mile. Adds incredible shine, effectively fills minor swirls. Does all you'd want it to and lasts quite a while when topped with a good sealant.

Honorable Mention: Adam's Brilliant Glaze- Second place, but really not even in the same league. Doesn't last very long, doesn't fill swirls very well. It is very nice on glass, chrome, etc., though, and adds a high degree of gloss for a very short time on paint.

Paint Protection/LSPs

You thought polishes were subjective? LSPs are about as personal as fingerprints. The fact of the matter is that there are hundreds of excellent choices. These are just some I use all the time and love.

Sealants/Liquid Waxes-

Winner: Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - This is my favorite all-around sealant. It provides very durable and long-lasting protection, excellent beading, and is still very easy to apply. Highly recommend two coats, spaced 12 hours apart for best results.

Honorable Mention: Rejex, Menzerna Power Lock, Collinite 845

Paste Waxes-

Winner: Blackfire Midnight Sun- Best paste wax I've ever used, for the money. Goes on and off like a dream, beads like mad, and leaves a terrific finish. Mates extremely well with BFWD sealant, or with any sealant, really.

Honorable Mention: Adam's Americana, Chemical Guys' Pete's 53

Spray Sealants/Waxes-

Winner: Sonax Polymer Net Shield

Werkstatt Acrylic Jett: Trigger

Honorable Mention: Blackfire Crystal Seal

Tire/Trim Applications

Keep in mind that what I look for in a tire or trim application is a natural black look. If you like a high degree of shine, you won't like my choices.

Winner: Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus- By far, my favorite tire dressing out there. It lasts a very long time (months) and leaves just the right amount of shine. You can apply multiple coats to increase the shine if desired, but I prefer one for a natural look. Pricey, but you use so little that it lasts forever.

Honorable Mention: Adam's SVRT, Carpro Perl

Glass Care

Glass Sealant-

Winner: GTechniq G1 Clear Vision- G1 is a revolution in glass coatings. It lasts up to 3 years (claimed) and beads water flawlessly. Also keeps bugs and other stuff from sticking to the glass. It has a steep learning curve and is far from the easiest thing out there to use, but if you can master it you won't be disappointed. I have 2 years on mine and it's still working like a champ.

CarPro FlyBy30 - This is becoming my go-to, even over the G1. It doesn't last as long, but it sheds water just as well (if not better), is a lot cheaper, and is a LOT easier to work with.

Honorable Mention: GTechniq G5 (especially good over G1)

Glass Cleaner-

Winner: Meguiar's D120- D120 performs as well as any glass cleaner out there. The reason it gets the nod is that for $20, you get 11 gallons of glass cleaner. Doesn't get any better than that.

Honorable Mention: Stoner's Invisible Glass, available at any store. Works extremely well, readily available, and pretty inexpensive. Just can't compare to the price of the D120.

Glass Cloths-

Winner: Microfiber Madness Cloud Buster- Fantastic glass towel. Cleans really well, and just flip to a dry side for that final buff and streak free perfection. All-in-one.

Interior Maintenance

Winner: Werkstat Satin Prot- Far and away my favorite interior dressing. Dries to the perfect satin look that you want for an interior. Never greasy, and very easy to apply.

Honorable Mention: Ultima Interior Guard Plus, Adam's Total Interior Detailer

Microfiber

One of my favorite things to spend money on. I'm a towel junkie and have tried just about everything I can get my hands on.

Waterless Wash/Detail Spray Towels-

Winner: Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile- This is the best towel made. It might be the best THING made. I just got my hands on these about a month ago and I can't imagine a more perfect towel.

Honorable Mention: Microfiber Madness Summit 800, Zaino Borderless Blonde, Adam's Waterless Wash Waffle Weave

Sealant/Wax Buffing Towels-

Winner: Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile- See above. This towel runs the gamut. Perfection.

Honorable Mention: Microfiber Madness Summit 800, Zaino Borderless Blonde, Cobra Supreme 530

Drying Towels-

Winner: Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy- Ok, think of it like this: What if Adam's made a quad soft towel, made it bigger and 1200 g/m2. That's what this is. Softest towel ever, most absorbent thing I've ever touched. It guzzles water like a Shop Vac. You can easily dry a full car and the towel barely feels damp. Just drag it across the paint, then flip to a dry side to buff off any streaks. PERFECT. Video demo here.

Honorable Mention: Unnecessary. Like having an honorable mention to Giza for Best Pyramids.

Microfiber Care-

Winner: Blackfire Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer- Works perfectly every time. Keeps your towels soft while removing even the worst stains without the need for any sort of pre-treatment.

Well, there it is. I'll try to keep this list updated as new things impress me enough to make the cut. Hope this helps at least a couple people out there.

-Matt

Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the post, Mike! I haven't been over there in a while, seems the place has really died down.

It looks like I'm somewhat on the right path. I think I may ditch the opti-seal, but I'm not fully sure on that. I kind of want to give it a try.

I've heard good things about the Blackfire products as well, but continue to read that Pete's 53 is really good on lighter colors or colors with metallics in them.

It doesn't seem to really go into the interior a whole lot. I'm mainly worried about the leather in the WS6. I think with Lexol I'll pretty much be set there and Aerospace to keep the UV's off the crack-happy interior pieces.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM

15 Year Member

For interiors, check out Adam's

Remember, you never want your leather cleaner and conditioner to come from the same bottle.

Interior Cleaner | Car Leather Cleaner | Clean Auto Interior

Leather Cleaner and Conditioner | Clean Auto Interior

That might help your WS6 interior too, because you can use it on the vinyl as well, and we know how much vinyl is in that cabin

Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
For interiors, check out Adam's

Remember, you never want your leather cleaner and conditioner to come from the same bottle.

Interior Cleaner | Car Leather Cleaner | Clean Auto Interior

That might help your WS6 interior too, because you can use it on the vinyl as well, and we know how much vinyl is in that cabin
Thanks for the links.

I was going to do the Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner. They come in a pack together as separate 6oz containers I believe and I've read really good things about them.

As for the vinyl stuff, the Aerospace 303 has the most UV protection of all interior cleaners from what I understand and I think this will probably help the interior hold up the most.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 PM

15 Year Member

Since you garage the TA, the cracking dash should hopefully not be as apparent, but definitely find something that will keep that vinyl moist and protected

Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Since you garage the TA, the cracking dash should hopefully not be as apparent, but definitely find something that will keep that vinyl moist and protected
I'm more worried about the doors to be honest lol

I'm worried about when I go to shows... Maybe I can find something to put over them at shows.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Adams leather treatment is amazing.
I would disagree with a few of his choices but I guess its personal preference.

Last edited by Mels SS; 08-14-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

I use Meguiars Ultimate products and then use "Jax wax" products for all the other car care needs.

Jax Wax Car Wax, Car Care, & Professional Detailing Products

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Product Preferences