Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Piant Flaking...I am P*****

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Default Piant Flaking...I am P*****

I have had my monte now for about 3 months now. To begin with I just got her back from the body shop a few weeks ago after a hail storm roughed her up. The quote was for $1000 wound up being $4k at the end doin PDR so didnt even get a fresh coat of paint...still dont know how the insurance is gonna feel about that. But I have begun to notice the paint on the bumpers and side skirts starting to flake right off! WTF GM...could you do a worse paint job on the body parts that are not sheet metal? I'm talkin front and rear bumper and on the side skirts now too what gives...has this happend to any one else? My guess is that the dealer wont even talk to me about this one...because its not their fault. I guess I just want to know if it was something that I did like use a wash or wax that I shouldnt have that caused the paint to flake like that...but after seeing how inflated the bill was for the hail damage I am definitly not gonna go back to that body shop to possibly get them repainted. I am just so pissed right now I dont know what to do.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Piant Flaking...I am P*****

Wow man that sucks. I would be pretty pissed too. I can't imagine how any wash/wax could cause the paint to chip right off.... if that was the case, you would hear about this alot more. I'm stumped man.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM

This is in areas they repainted I am assuming? If so, they simply did not sand properly (or at all) before painting. Definitely go back to the paint shop and insist they repair it.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 PM

The shop didnt do any painting...they did paintless dent removal. The paint that is flaking off is the factory paint job.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM

Wow - is it possible there has been repairs you are unaware of? It does happen where cars are repaired when new before the purchaser even gets the vehicle. If its factory paint, that is pathetic and the dealer better take care of it.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: J_Bru_Ha_SS

I have begun to notice the paint on the bumpers and side skirts starting to flake right off! ...has this happend to any one else?
I found two spots on my hood that look like they are beginning to flake, but it looks like a rock was the culprit in each spot though. I have not noticed any flaking anywhere else, but I have noticed alot of pitting. More so on the hood, an it bugs the hell out of me. I never really noticed it much but I wetsanded my hood this past weekend to blend in my touch up work I did a week ago and that's when I noticed it.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:25 AM

Same problem here, right behind the passenger rear wheel I've noticed the clear coat just peels off. I am just as pissed and am going to make a trip to the dealer I bought it from 6 months ago and let them know about this problem and insist somebody take care of it. The car is only 2 years old (2004) and theres no reason in my book that the paint would do this. Drunk *** GM painters.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Drunk *** GM painters.
I am sure this process is all robotic and not touched by human hands. I've not seen any problems other than rock chipping on mine so far.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM

well if its just on the bumpers and the side skirts my guess is an impropermix of flexing agent in the paint which keeps the paint fom getting hard and this can cause paint flaking on bendable parts

Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Its was a joke.

Quick Reply: Piant Flaking...I am P*****