Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Default Paint chips

What's the best way to deal with those pesky paint chips? I have a couple small ones from basic normal wear that I would really, really like to get rid of. I've heard that I could take it to my dealership, and have them match up the color with a bottle of like touch-up paint and that will do the job nicely. Is this true? If not, anyone know a better way?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Paint chips

you can go to any auto parts store that mixes paint as well and have them mix a pint or a 1/2 pint for cheaper than what you would pay for the one from the stealership...

we have people come into the store all the time looking for this...if your looking for the same finish as whats on the car without having to put a little bit of clear over top of it...make sure you ask for a single stage (acrylic enamil) paint then it will have a shine

Old 04-08-2007, 02:31 AM

the best way is to repaint the afflicted body panel, but if you can't do that then you can use the touch up paint to fill the chip in but then you'd have to sand it down once it dries so that it's level with the surrounding paint. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you don't have a good dual action buffer because you will then need to buff out the panel once you get done sanding.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 AM

I've added touch up paint to fill in the chips, put some paining tape around the chip, then lightly sanded till smooth. It will never look perfect, but you can't see it at first glance.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator
It will never look perfect, but you can't see it at first glance.

and if you cant see the touchups on your car @ first glance...then chances are not many people are going to notice them either...notice you will always notice the faults first because you know where they are...the average person isn't going to be looking for them...

Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

I've added touch up paint to fill in the chips, put some paining tape around the chip, then lightly sanded till smooth. It will never look perfect, but you can't see it at first glance.
I touched up quite a few rock chips on my hood a couple months ago and I can't even tell where they were. So long as you take the time and fill them in right, sand them down right, and buff them out, you won't be able to tell unless one of the steps wasn't done correctly.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks fellas. I'll be looking into fixing my chips real soon. I'm having the back fender on the passenger side repainted, and having a light crease taken out of it next week. Had an incident of someone backing into my car a while back. [:@]Need to fix that, the paint chips, and get my fuel problem figured out and I'll be good to go. Oh, and the tires balanced and rotated, and have the wheels aligned. Then I'll be good to go.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Hamm

What's the best way to deal with those pesky paint chips? I have a couple small ones from basic normal wear that I would really, really like to get rid of. I've heard that I could take it to my dealership, and have them match up the color with a bottle of like touch-up paint and that will do the job nicely. Is this true? If not, anyone know a better way?
Space & other have posted articles or their experience.

The simplest method seems to go buy a paint pen from the dealer with your color.

Fill in the chip every few days until it is even with the rest of the paint.

And then you can polish it. out to rub the new pain into the old pain and even it out.