Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Overdoing the Washing ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Default RE: Overdoing the Washing ...

ORIGINAL: Twisted_Metal

Just wondering am I over washing my car? I washed my car yesterday afternoon and went to work because I work nights. I got to work and at about 2am dew was on my car so I thought no biggie? anyhow the following morning (early this morning) after leaving I got dirt, dew leftovers, and water spots on my car and i'm thinking wow it didn't even stay clean a entire day? Are there any solutions to keeping the car looking cleaner longer because it seems like i'm washing the car every 4 days or less because it shows every spec of dirt imagineable ... I know it's black, but still ...

Also is it true that handwashing brings more scratches to the car ....

Well, to answer the question I'd have to know how you wash it, including what materials are used and your techniques. So until I have those answers I can't say yes or no, but I can say that you sound like the perfect candidate for Optimum No Rinse wash and shine.

Simply put, this stuff is awesome! Not only can you use it as a car wash, but when diluted properly you can use it as a clay lube or a quik detailer as well. When used as a no rinse wash, which would be perfect for the situation you described above, all you have to do is mix an ounce of the solution with 2 gallons of water and wash the car. That two gallons is all the water you'd use, no need for a waterhose to rinse the suds or anything like that. What I do is use two buckets, one for the wash mixture and one of just clean water. Both of the buckets have grit guards in them to help free my microfiber chenille wash mitt of any contaminants trapped in it, after dipping my mitt in the wash bucket and washing a couple of panels, I thouroughly rinse it out in the bucket of water before putting it back in the wash bucket. Then I'll grab a clean microfiber towel and dry off the panels I just washed. The shine it leaves behind is beautiful! While it can be used on moderately soiled cars safely without causing any swirls or marring, you'd dirty up so many microfiber towels in the process that I don't even bother. But you sound like you want to keep your car clean all the time and this would not only work well for that but it will take you alot less time to do so and you'll be conserving water and cutting down on waste when you consider this one bottle does the job of 3 different products!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

I wash & wax my car once a week. I rinse, dry, and quick detail it daily. Because of the design... Montes collect dust on the trunk and especially the back of the car like a magnet. It doesn't matter how clear the weather... one quick ride around the block and the back bumper is dusty... Drives Me Nuts!

You would think with all the wax I have on my car the water would run off, but it beads, thus quite acceptable to water spots. The rinse, dry, and quick detail keeps the dirt and dew water spots off my car and keeps it standing tall.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

I wash & wax my car once a week. I rinse, dry, and quick detail it daily. Because of the design... Montes collect dust on the trunk and especially the back of the car like a magnet. It doesn't matter how clear the weather... one quick ride around the block and the back bumper is dusty... Drives Me Nuts!

You would think with all the wax I have on my car the water would run off, but it beads, thus quite acceptable to water spots. The rinse, dry, and quick detail keeps the dirt and dew water spots off my car and keeps it standing tall.
Yeah, the water won't run off unless you're holding a waterhose on it, if it's just rain it'll bead due to the high surface tension created thanks to the wax.