Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

NEW HID's opinions plz?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I'm thinking when people see the blue lights they think 'rice' because usually other things follow on the car to make it rice. If they have blue lights, they probably have a crapload of decals, carbon fiber hood, fart can, etc. It's the ricers that have ruined things like HID's for non rice type people who customize their cars. Just because ricers put blue lights in their car does not mean your monte with blue lights is rice too. It's a package deal IMO.

When I put my HID's in, my girlfriend said "your car looks all asain now." She doesn't see the other custom work put into it at a glance. She just sees the obvious blue lights and associates it with rice.
And hey I have a bunch of decals!!

Tell her to stop judging things

Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM

dont forget the stickers on the window from manufactures you dont have parts from! LOL i heard most ricers go by ihp. (imaginary horsepower)

but hey, i say you keep them if you like them theyre not badd!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I just ordered me some replacement bulbs. 6000k

Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I used to think they were dumb too, but after getting out of a car with HIDs into a non HID car, wow. Might as well strap the dog to the front of the car and tell him to bark when I get too close to the yellow line
I don't care. You could put 3 spotlights on the roof of your car and see a great distance. But you will blind every single person you drive near, and it is illegal.

If we had a projector option that was easier to pull off, I would have it and have HIDs properly. It would be nice, but we don't, so I'm not going to go around blinding every single person I drive behind or past.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
Well I just ordered me some replacement bulbs. 6000k
Nice same as me

But if you like your current HID's why not keep them? Don't change them just for us who prefer the lesser blue lights.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I'm a bit confused by this whole 'HID' thing. The 'HID' lights I've seen on eBay appear to just be replacement bulbs. They are the same wattage (35 watts) as the stock bulb. The only difference is the output color. Since you're using the stock headlight housing the projection area of the light isn't going to change. So, can these really be classified as 'HID' lights? I'm thinking not. I think they are advertised as 'HID' simply for marketing purposes. I think the biggest problem with 'HID' lights blinding oncoming traffic is that DIYers install them then don't have the headlights aligned afterwords. Another thing that confuses me is if these bulbs are illegal, how are they getting DOT approval? Can anyone clue me in?

I like the look of your new bulbs. It takes more than a change in headlight color to make your car a ricer. I see a lot of full size luxury cars and sports cars on the road with a hint of blue in their headlights. They don't look like ricers to me.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't care. You could put 3 spotlights on the roof of your car and see a great distance. But you will blind every single person you drive near, and it is illegal.

If we had a projector option that was easier to pull off, I would have it and have HIDs properly. It would be nice, but we don't, so I'm not going to go around blinding every single person I drive behind or past.
I don't care, so far I've only been flashed once and I gave them a wiff of my highs. Awesome feeling. And on the illegal part, in Nebraska my tint, supercharger, and lights, and tail lights, and exhaust, are all illegal. Let it be

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I'm a bit confused by this whole 'HID' thing. The 'HID' lights I've seen on eBay appear to just be replacement bulbs. They are the same wattage (35 watts) as the stock bulb. The only difference is the output color. Since you're using the stock headlight housing the projection area of the light isn't going to change. So, can these really be classified as 'HID' lights? I'm thinking not. I think they are advertised as 'HID' simply for marketing purposes. I think the biggest problem with 'HID' lights blinding oncoming traffic is that DIYers install them then don't have the headlights aligned afterwords. Another thing that confuses me is if these bulbs are illegal, how are they getting DOT approval? Can anyone clue me in?

I like the look of your new bulbs. It takes more than a change in headlight color to make your car a ricer. I see a lot of full size luxury cars and sports cars on the road with a hint of blue in their headlights. They don't look like ricers to me.
There is a main ballast that kind up "ups" the power going to the bulb. Its the same concept as a fluorescent bulb in a business. Compare one to a regular 110 bulb. Yea the same power is going int, but its a difference coming out.

And sometimes headlights don't align right, ebay headlights like mine are off, by a lot, so I have them close. My drivers side low is tilted a bit down to be nice.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM

I like it, I wanted mine to be that yellow look, complete ricer!! Lol, and bow I see how that bumper will look on my car, I want it!! And I believe the gap in between your bumper is like the Lexas LFA it is a specially made intake!! I like the whole look of your car, now you need fog lights!!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Nice same as me

But if you like your current HID's why not keep them? Don't change them just for us who prefer the lesser blue lights.
i dont want my monte being a "ricer"
but mostly becus one of my bulbs has a diff tint of blue than the other so one is blue/purplish and the other is blue :p

also i want to see how it looks on my white monte
the bulbs only cost me $14 anyways so its all good :p

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM

I don't mind a little bit of blue...but I mean just a hint of blue. I mean, the whole point of HIDs is to get better output so you can see wider and farther down the road...but the higher up the Kelvin scale you go the more blue (or purple if you go high enough) they get, and with that you loose light output. If I put in HIDs I'd use 5 or 6,000 k - that's the best light output w/o having a yellow tint.

Quick Reply: NEW HID's opinions plz?