Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

My Little Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My Little Problems

Some of my buddies think I'm insane for even caring about the little things, but these are the little flaws that drive me nuts...

What I get for letting my dad put tires that are an inch too short in the sidewall on my car...

Came out to see this in Bozeman in the dorms parking lot, most buffed out but there was this left, still have no idea how it happened as I was backed into the parking spot...

My fault on this one, backed into chainlink fence, pretty pissed at myself when I did it, didn't buff out at all.

Again my fault, dad parked his Seirra closer to the garage than I noticed, rubbed against his fender flare.

Little white spots, look like maybe road paint, but can't get them off no matter what, and I've never driven through wet paint. I make a point of avoiding it.

This was here when we got the car, pretty damn hard door ding is my guess.

Hard to see in this picture, but if you look close you can see the crease in the paint. This is that bent section of my hood.

Don't know how I got this one, I know the whole underside has been rubbed up though.

Driverside front bumper, diagonal scratches, again, no idea.

Paint peeled from some rock chip about a year ago.

There are a few more things, but they don't photograph well, like the scratch all down the side from someone walking against the paint and rubbing something against it. Plenty of random scratches, some make interesting little patterns, but most are too small to be noticed. Front end has plenty of chips in the paint.

I plan on getting the car repainted in the future, no idea if I'd just have the paint ground down on the hood and trunk and get the stripes painted flat, or have the whole car repainted. Oh well, I've got plenty of time, atleast a few more years till college is done for me.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
Default RE: My Little Problems

I have more. [8D]

Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM

You're not insane!! I'm the same way. Just bought my 03 Monte with 40,000 miles, and there are little scratches and paint chips all over. Just bought some Turtle wax rubbing compound, but haven't had an chance to try it.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 PM

hey man, sorry about all of your little things. did you try a machine buffer? that should take out the scrateches. (i do detail cars alot) and for the road paint: laquer wont take it of. but good news brake cleaner will. but spray it on a rag and then buff and polish the paint after.
but as for repaint wait until your outta college casue that ****s only going to keep happening.
but jsut remeber from a distance it still looks damn good!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm the exact same way. My husband's gonna have me committed if I don't stop OCD-ing about my dings & scrapes

Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

ORIGINAL: krystalmethod
I'm the exact same way. My husband's gonna have me committed if I don't stop OCD-ing about my dings & scrapes
I've BEEN commited! It was the door dings that put me there! SERIOUSLY, it just plain SUCKS! I'm not going to show you mine. I don't have any defects. YA, THAT'S IT!

I get my excercise from walking in from the back 40 everywhere I go. 2 parking spaces. etc. Someone doesn't like it, DEAL WITH IT!

I have mine professionally touched up every spring. A detailer does it. Most of the car for $50. Dings from road salt from salt trucks. Gray primer showing thru the black. Other than that, I need the back bumper repainted. He's been in the body shop twice now, so he's got lots of fresh paint, anyways.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow. i feel alot better about my problems. theres a place on my front bumper where the previous owners wife ran over some debris driving to new york, i have the rock chips all over the front (but every monte I have ever seen has that.. mines not as bad as most i've seen). and Garrett, that mark on your rear bumper, hte black one, no the side... I ahve a mark EXACTLY like it, but white, on about the same spot. when you figure out waht caused it, let me know.

i also have a ding in the rear bumper where this dumb b*tch backed into my car with her 93 camry, igot her parking permit number and had her called to the front office about ti.. SHE DIDN'T EVEN CARE!!! the resource officer told me it really wasn't worth pressing charges on the insurance, as it would be cheaper just to buy touch up paint and fix it. my car was 2 feet from the line diving the two spots... she still backed into my car!!! WTF?!?!

then where they have this little leash on the gas gap.... well, theres lots of scratches jsut under the cap where the gas nozzle has been pushing the cap into the side of the paint.

theres also random little scratches and very small spots missing frmo the paint.. but alot of people still glance at my car... and say "WOW, what is it... 06, 07?" one persno even asked if it was an 08!! lots of people have a hard time believing its a 5 year old car. my dad says for a car with 94000 miles and 5 years old, my paint job is in superb shape, so i should just be happy about it.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622
then where they have this little leash on the gas gap.... well, theres lots of scratches jsut under the cap where the gas nozzle has been pushing the cap into the side of the paint.
The 1st thing I did was to remove that leash. FIRST thing! I remember the scratches on my 01 from that. Not this car!

My worst spot is on the rear bumper where someone backed over a reflector post, and then backed into the closed garage door. What an idiot! If I get a hold of him I'm going to strangle him (gasp, gasp!)

Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM

I feel your pain here.

My last monte was dinged and scratched all to hell.

I walked out of the movie theater one day and there was a key scratch on my car from door handle to tail light (looks like somebody was drunk and got a little to close w/a bicycle).

My new car is spotless, but in the city it is impossible to keep it that way.

Where I grew up, if you bump someone's car, ding their door, scratch the paint accidentally, you leave a note.

Here in the city, you fend for yourself I guess.
Frustrating, but I've learned to deal. If you see a report in the news about a spontaneous human combustion in Philadelphia, you can assume that someone dinged my new car and i lost it.

-Riggs.