Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Multiple detailing/cosmetic questions. (Picture heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Rust can't be handled without sanding and repainting and blending the old paint into the new paint (to prevent repainting large large areas).

You will probably have to deal with those spots, unless you pay to get them properly fixed.

From the pictures that you show, I see a ton of spots on the car. A proper detailing can help hide those. There could even just be a lot of damage in the clear coat, and a proper polishing can almost neutralize those.

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store is a great forum for detailing, you will find a ton of information there.

The wheels look like they were treated with harsh chemicals. Maybe the car was run through a car wash 10 too many times . If you can't get them clean, the coating on the rim just might be ruined. That large rash mark is from a wheel weight when the tire was balanced. You can try using a solvent to remove that "glue".
Agreed!!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 PM
1 Year Member

I understand that I can't fix the rust on my own, more of what I was asking was does the rust NEED to be taken care of (IE removed) to prevent its spread or will having a good layer of wax on the car keep it from spreading and getting worse.

Basically will the rust continue to get worse regardless of what I can do to prevent it from progressing. As I understand it the only purpose for wax is to protect the clear coat/paint is that enough to keep the rust from getting worse?

If not I will begrudgingly have the rust fixed ASAP, but If I could I would rather postpone it till I get more money, just not at the cost of having a worse rust problem. (What is an estimated cost to have the rust fixed? that is the only spot of it on the car as far as my eyes can tell.)