Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Monte Nats Judging and detailing tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
I'm debating on doing it myself to save some money, but I work at a body shop so I might be able to get it done pretty cheap.
Lucky you! If you happen to do it yourself do a step by step please... I wouldn't mind learning what you did and whats snags you ran into :P

Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
I'm debating on doing it myself to save some money, but I work at a body shop so I might be able to get it done pretty cheap.
Hi Ashley, as you can see I did mine, took about 6 days to thoroughly degrease and then wash and rinse. Let all the moisture evaporate for 2 days, then mask off areas you do not want Undercoating on. And about 2 days to spray everything with cans.

What a process, if you have access to a shop with a rack and a pressure washer your way ahead of the game, had to lay on my back with the car on jack stands, the grime gets all over you and your just laying in it as you wash. So let your shop do it, but from all I have read it is very important not to trap moisture under the rubberized undercoating. Do it on during a hot week, clean it very well, remove all grease grime, let the undercarriage dry thoroughly for a couple of days and then go back and get the undercoating applied with a wand sprayer..... Good luck

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 01-16-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, Im at a cross road....

Stopped by my corner Body shop...Had them give my monte a quick once over.... Unfortunately, For what I want done....They told me it would just be best to repaint the whole car....He also told me, Since I know them...(somewhat)..Instead of chargeing me $6,000. He said he'd do it for $4,500.

Thats way out of my budget! Especially now that the Mrs has been off work for so long...and is going to end up on LOA for at least the next 3 to 4 weeks.
I took her to the Doc today...turns out...She may have to have surgery after all to remove the kidney stone...That was supposedly shattered...They did an ultra sound... it shows the stone may still be stuck in her kidney..
So, they had her get a cat scan... We still have to wait on those results...
But according tot he doc..He feels the Non evasive shatter the stone procedure apparently didnt work...Thus all the pain she continues have.

So, My 2nd choice where the cars concerned...It looks like IM going to have to have it professionally detailed...However...it has a a cpl flaws ...
Like some chips,minor rust,(left rear quarter) cracks...etc that need to be repaired wont be.... So, my only resolve is to make it look the best that It can...Since everywhere else the clear cote is untouched... So it should smooth out nicely...Going to have it done inside and out..Some tint replaced...and maybe even have the wheels plastidipped...

All total..Im looking too spend right around $780.00...To have it done inside and out with the exception of the engine compartment...That I guess I will have to do by myself...
Definately not going to be a "Gold Class" vehicle...Depending on the end result... I may either enter it into the Class4 or last resort the "Park and Party" class...... It is what it is...14 yrs as a daily driver ... Is going to show some kinda wear and tear....

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hi Ashley, as you can see I did mine, took about 6 days to thoroughly degrease and then wash and rinse. Let all the moisture evaporate for 2 days, then mask off areas you do not want Undercoating on. And about 2 days to spray everything with cans.

What a process, if you have access to a shop with a rack and a pressure washer your way ahead of the game, had to lay on my back with the car on jack stands, the grime gets all over you and your just laying in it as you wash. So let your shop do it, but from all I have read it is very important not to trap moisture under the rubberized undercoating. Do it on during a hot week, clean it very well, remove all grease grime, let the undercarriage dry thoroughly for a couple of days and then go back and get the undercoating applied with a wand sprayer..... Good luck
X2
Ya Ashley your going to get a "Tad" dirty
I did get real dirty doing the Deuce and I never even drove her in winter. Her paint underneath is factory. I didn't have to repaint her. I think I will touchup paint underneath where needed this spring as I am going gold. ;

Last edited by Tadcaster; 01-16-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Well, Im at a cross road....

Stopped by my corner Body shop...Had them give my monte a quick once over.... Unfortunately, For what I want done....They told me it would just be best to repaint the whole car....He also told me, Since I know them...(somewhat)..Instead of chargeing me $6,000. He said he'd do it for $4,500.

Thats way out of my budget! Especially now that the Mrs has been off work for so long...and is going to end up on LOA for at least the next 3 to 4 weeks.
I took her to the Doc today...turns out...She may have to have surgery after all to remove the kidney stone...That was supposedly shattered...They did an ultra sound... it shows the stone may still be stuck in her kidney..
So, they had her get a cat scan... We still have to wait on those results...
But according tot he doc..He feels the Non evasive shatter the stone procedure apparently didnt work...Thus all the pain she continues have.

So, My 2nd choice where the cars concerned...It looks like IM going to have to have it professionally detailed...However...it has a a cpl flaws ...
Like some chips,minor rust,(left rear quarter) cracks...etc that need to be repaired wont be.... So, my only resolve is to make it look the best that It can...Since everywhere else the clear cote is untouched... So it should smooth out nicely...Going to have it done inside and out..Some tint replaced...and maybe even have the wheels plastidipped...

All total..Im looking too spend right around $780.00...To have it done inside and out with the exception of the engine compartment...That I guess I will have to do by myself...
Definately not going to be a "Gold Class" vehicle...Depending on the end result... I may either enter it into the Class4 or last resort the "Park and Party" class...... It is what it is...14 yrs as a daily driver ... Is going to show some kinda wear and tear....
Sucy news about your wifey David. I reall hope this is all behind her soon.

As for your car, engine comparment shouldn't be too bad "Quarter car wash" and simple green should do the trick. get some "back to black" and hit your hoses, wires and black plastic with it.

I'll help you do the finishing touches and touchup at the Hotel. We will give it our best shot

Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02

From this I might just have them do it!! LOL But, our shop has a paint booth, so I can deep clean then heat it up really hot to get all the moisture out then spray it on the lift. Hopefully Los will be looking pretty nice by the time this rolls around. Got some rust starting from previous winters before I owned him and some blemishes on the doors. Front bumper, rear bumper and trunk have all just been repainted this last summer. And my hood only has 2 small chips on it so I think I'll just touch those up.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Sucy news about your wifey David. I reall hope this is all behind her soon.

As for your car, engine comparment shouldn't be too bad "Quarter car wash" and simple green should do the trick. get some "back to black" and hit your hoses, wires and black plastic with it.

I'll help you do the finishing touches and touchup at the Hotel. We will give it our best shot
Thanks for the well wishes for the Mrs...( Her and I truely appreciate the support)
I appreciate any and all help with the Monte TYVVM Tad!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Hello all, have had PC issues and haven't been online for awhile. Here is a link to videos on a how-to for detailing. I am a huge fan and user of the Adam's products, and for $500 you can get what you need to detail a car yourself and make it perfect.

Links to the videos, #3 is how to clean and engine bay. The SVRT & In and Out spray will get you in good shape.

Instructional Detailing Videos

Good luck getting ready for the shows this summer!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Never get a bra for the car it will scratch.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

3M clear bra isn't terrible, but definitely not those removable things.

Quick Reply: Monte Nats Judging and detailing tips