Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

How to clean leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 AM

i got some stuff from SofaMart when i bought my couches.....just their leather cleaner.. not sure if it has an actual brand name...but i cleaned my moms suuuuppper dingy tan leather seats in her accord with it and it worked wonders!!!! i think that you can buy it directly from them if you have a furniture row near by...also possibly online. Best product ive used by far tho!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here is a post I wrote not too long ago:

Okay I'll chime in because after about 5 years of not cleaning my leather seats and watching them start to go to the crapper, I did a lot of research on this and now they are keeping pretty good.

The first thing to remember is that leather is basically just skin. It came from a cow and it's still skin so you have to treat it like skin. How do you treat your skin? You wash it, and then you moisturize it. Skin has a lot of little pores that hold dirt and grime, and your leather seats are just as bad. So you have to get that grime out, and when the pores aren't "clogged" the leather can bend freely and will feel soft.

One big key thing is to remember that leather shouldn't be shiny... That's oil and dirt (like your skin)

This is what you should do for your seats. Get a good MILD cleaner that smells nice (I like to use pine-sol, dilluted 1:2 with water) and a clean soft brush. I scrub the seats down, in sections at a time and then I take a clean, dry microfiber cloth and wipe the seats down. You have to get all the dirt out of the pores, so if you scrub and let it just sit there the dirt will just go back to where it is, so you have to use the cloth to get it off when the brush scrubs it away.

After you wash and dry all the seats, they will feel a little softer and then not be as shiny. Now is when you have to moisturize "the skin" It's one thing to have clear pores, but if you really want the seats to last then you have to keep them from drying out. Try to stay away from some of the harsher cleaners, and get something with lanolin oil. Usually can't find it in many places, but look around you'll get it.

*edit* Here's one

You can look at like pet stores, and other weird places that would sell it. Basically you are looking for a leather conditioner, not a cleaner.

and then you take a clean sponge and that moisturizer and give it a really good rub down. Don't worry about making it all absorb right away, after it sits for a little while the leather will absorb it.

Now you have nice soft and clean seats

Try to do that once a month, or every other month.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I went through the house and found some leather cleaner and protector I got from Ashley's furniture. I used the cleaner the way it said to on the bottle. My sponge got dirt and stuff on it, but the seats didn't get any cleaner. They still had that dingy look to them. So I waited an hour, cleaned out the sponge and went at them again with my Ram Cleaner. It's an all purpose cleaner concentrate kind of like Pine-Sol but organic. I decided to not dilute so it would be nice and strong. Went to clean the seats the same way, by applying the cleaner to the sponge. Cleaned the seats again, and got the same result. Dirt and grime on the sponge, but the seats look the same.

After letting the seats dry again, I put protector on.
Now, is this to be expected out of custom seats that probably haven't been cleaned in 3 years? Do these things even have hope. Better question, do you think these seats are even leather? Could they be vinyl?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

I say try again, with a nail brush. If you still don't get any results move to a stronger cleaner, and if that don't work...well IDK

Old 09-18-2009, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03Monte
I say try again, with a nail brush. If you still don't get any results move to a stronger cleaner, and if that don't work...well IDK
Nail brush, got it. Have a couple of them too. Stronger cleaner though? I don't know of anything stronger. I mean, this stuff was able to get oil off my garage floor so.....yeah.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess we'll just have to trade cars....

Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 AM

you may want to pickup some 3M leather cleaner, they usually make some fairly potent products... or maybe pick up some of the cleaner from the website i posted earlier.

good luck, keep us posted on how it turns out!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03Monte
you may want to pickup some 3M leather cleaner, they usually make some fairly potent products... or maybe pick up some of the cleaner from the website i posted earlier.

good luck, keep us posted on how it turns out!
I'll go have a look at Advanced today to see what they have. I love 3M products.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MouSe
Well, I went through the house and found some leather cleaner and protector I got from Ashley's furniture. I used the cleaner the way it said to on the bottle. My sponge got dirt and stuff on it, but the seats didn't get any cleaner. They still had that dingy look to them. So I waited an hour, cleaned out the sponge and went at them again with my Ram Cleaner. It's an all purpose cleaner concentrate kind of like Pine-Sol but organic. I decided to not dilute so it would be nice and strong. Went to clean the seats the same way, by applying the cleaner to the sponge. Cleaned the seats again, and got the same result. Dirt and grime on the sponge, but the seats look the same.

After letting the seats dry again, I put protector on.
Now, is this to be expected out of custom seats that probably haven't been cleaned in 3 years? Do these things even have hope. Better question, do you think these seats are even leather? Could they be vinyl?
Most new automotive leather is coated leather. To check if its coated or not, put a drop of water on the seat, if it beads and sits on top the leather its coated. if it obsorbs into the leather then it a natural leather. Get a dedicated automotive leather cleaner and a brush and try again. or you can look into trying Leatherique, ive never used it but ive seen it work wonders for other people.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/detail1.php?product_id=38

Just bought this stuff and an interior brush at Advance Auto. It works! My orange is no longer dingy!!!

Quick Reply: How to clean leather seats?