Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

How to clean leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How to clean leather seats?

Ok, so I just bought an 06 Monte with custom 2-tone leather seats. Problem: Previous owner hated the car and didn't clean the seats ever. The orange leather has a slight black dingy-ness to it, if you know what I mean. I'd take a pic but all I have is my phone and it shows no detail.

Anyway, what's the best way I can clean these seats? They aren't cracked which is surprising...just dingy.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

hmm idk. i remember seeing that on it. i dont wanna sound like an idiot and be like oh just use leather cleaner bcuz i don't think that would fix it all the way. you might have to end up going to a detailing shop and redying the seats but idk if they can do that orange or not. idk but good luck with it!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

You might try using a very diluted solution of a degreaser (like Simple Green), wash the seats down with that, and then buy a good quality conditioner and condition it after. I like Meguires conditioner, or zymbol....

Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 PM

http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_brochure.html

try this place, they have alot of info on leather and how to maintain it. they also sell a very good product, i have seen first hand what some of their restoratives can do. (not that you need any restoration, but they do sell cleaners/conditioners).

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 AM

good information

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM

get some leather cleaner, if you want something local find a place that sells Duargloss, if you order online Zaino leather cleaner is what i use. Buy a horsehair shoe cleaning brush. i got one from walmart. Spray the cleaner on a small section of the seat, aggitate with brush, the cleaner with foam up slightly. wipe away. when done follow up with a protectant/conditioner.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dsgbraves
get some leather cleaner, if you want something local find a place that sells Duargloss, if you order online Zaino leather cleaner is what i use. Buy a horsehair shoe cleaning brush. i got one from walmart. Spray the cleaner on a small section of the seat, aggitate with brush, the cleaner with foam up slightly. wipe away. when done follow up with a protectant/conditioner.
NEVER spray the cleaner directly on the leather, some cleaners are so strong that they will leave very unsightly "streak" marks from where it was sprayed!

ALWAYS, spray on a clean damp cloth FIRST!!!!

dsgbraves comment above may be true, he may have sprayed this on his seats with out any issue, i do not intend to discredit what he is saying.
with that being said, ask yourself; do you want to take the risk of making a dirty situation a catastrophic situation?

this is just me .02, take from it what you will.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM

i am using armor all leather wipes currently. they will clean and condition the leather. i have no complaints so far. i've had some dirty spots every now and then and those wipes clean it up no problem. i've used them for two years and the leather still looks like the day it was brand new.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03Monte
NEVER spray the cleaner directly on the leather, some cleaners are so strong that they will leave very unsightly "streak" marks from where it was sprayed!

ALWAYS, spray on a clean damp cloth FIRST!!!!

dsgbraves comment above may be true, he may have sprayed this on his seats with out any issue, i do not intend to discredit what he is saying.
with that being said, ask yourself; do you want to take the risk of making a dirty situation a catastrophic situation?

this is just me .02, take from it what you will.
i understand what your saying. you dont ever want to spray it all over or let it sit. but if your spray in a small section at a time and then work it with the brush immediatly after there wont be any problems. if you want to try something else you can use foam applicator pads. they wont clean as deep as the brush, but you can spray the pads and then work the leather until it starts to foam up.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member

Well I have this stuff should work I guess. It's like Simple Green but organic, has no harsh chemicals in it. I can practically drink it and be fine. Anyway, I know it cleans good because I've used it to clean oil off my garage floor. If I dilute that enough it should be fine yes?

Quick Reply: How to clean leather seats?