Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

HELP!!! RE: painting interior panels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
Default HELP!!! RE: painting interior panels.

OK, everyone.I have finally gotten sick of the interior being completely black! I decided to touch up some of the panels to match the exterior, butI am having trouble in one area: the steering wheel.

I am told that the bezels around the steering wheel-mounted controls simply snap in and out, but I have tried to take them off and I feel like I am about to break them. I want to paint them silver like the car and the shrouds around the door levers. Do they come off or will I have to mask off the entire interior and paint them that way? How do they come off?

HELP ME, PLEASE!!!

I am at work right now, but I will post pics of my work so far later on tonight or tomorrow. I love it, my wife hates it, but I think she's just afraid of change!!

Thanks everyone!!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Default RE: HELP!!! RE: painting interior panels.

first off. the door handels coem off easily just unscrew them and pull LOL

the handels in the center of the door i havent gotten mine off or tried but i have been told they will come off with taking the bolts out of the back side first.

the ones on teh wheel DO NOT JUST SNAP IN OR OUT OF THE WHEEL~!!!!!! YOU WILL BREAK THEM!!!!!!!!

but they are not tuff to get to just take your time tpo do it.

un hook the bat.
let sit for 10min. (i normally take this time to tear apart the coulum shroud etc....)
Take the air bag off the wheel. by removing the screws in teh back of the steering wheel
BE CARUEFUL!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE SURE NO POWER IS GOING TO THE CAR AND GROUND YOUR SELF BEFORE TOUCHING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after you take off the air bag you will see that there are four small screws to take out and then teh whole thing will fall off in your hands.
then ya can pop out the switches and paint the thing as one unit and put it back in the car and make it all pretty again.

Just remeber when ya pain plastic to get it supper clean and use a paint promoter to get it to stick on the plastic better.
I have always used regular autpo grade paints. if you go to a paint shop they can put them in a spray bomb for you relitivly cheap and also tell them what your doing and they can even add a flex agent in there to make sure the paint will flex some instead of chipping off eaisly.

But while your there it is time to tear the switches apart and change the color of them to

then when ya put the doors and the steering wheel back to geather they will look totaly diffrent!!
let em knwo if ya need soem help on them

Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i dont know about pulling the panels off but for the paint if you want it to turn out really good make sure you sand the stuff down really smooth first, then primer, paint and clear it

this will give you the best finish, for the primer you want a high build epoxy primer, for the paint if you dont have a compressor and gun and everything have someone mix you a can of base clear to match the color you want, just give them the paint code, then get a can of spray clear, try to get a name brand kind

this will give you the best finish, if you have any questions on paint, i know a lot about painting, i've painted complete's, and my dad is a licenced body man

Old 06-23-2007, 07:42 AM

[align=center]For Mod Bigg `J & MCF Members[/align][align=center]who are considering interior Painting.[/align][align=center]Good Luck `Jason : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align]

Dash Painting
[align=center][/align]
Beauty comes from within
Steve Temple / autoMedia.com

Even if your car's interior isn't showing signs of age, one of the most cost-effective and dramatic enhancements you can make is to paint the dash. We don't mean just slopping on a few coats of paint with a brush or trying to mask off the stereo and A/C vents and get silly with a spray can. The process is fairly involved and may require a pro, depending on your tools and level of experience. Here's an overview of what's required, using a
Lexus IS 300 as an example.

[align=center][/align][center]Color and Prep

Note that the color used on the
interior is the same as the exterior, which keeps the theme of the car consistent. A complementary color could be used as well, but be careful that it doesn't clash. One of the most common mistakes is a mismatched or odd color combination. Paint jobs that peel and flake also ruin the effect. The key to success here is good prep work. It's tedious, but it's the most important aspect of painting. The actual paint spraying goes pretty quickly by comparison.

When working on the parts outside of the car (don't even think about doing this without first removing them from the
interior), start with a thorough cleaning with lacquer thinner to remove any and all dirt, oils, and vinyl dressings. The surface then needs to be roughed up a bit with a scouring pad and some paint-prep gel, so the primer adheres properly. A special plastic primer is required as well that has more flexing agents than conventional primer. This gives the coating a bit of "give" for covering pliable material.

Paint and Check

After the paint has been applied and dried, go back over it carefully to inspect for any minor specks in the surface. Since the dash pieces are always within close view, you'll want a flawless surface. Remove any small particles with fine sandpaper and then buff the surface smooth with a polishing wheel and compound.

If this dash painting job sounds a bit more challenging or time consuming than you had in mind, the good news is that it's not as expensive as you might expect. Figure on less than a thousand dollars for a high-quality
interior[b] paint job, which is a pretty cost-effective treatment considering the big difference it will make.

The first step is to remove the major dash components from the car.

These are all the pieces that will be getting a coat of paint.

Any mechanical or electronic components that could be damaged by the painting process should be removed from the dash unit as well.

All traces of dirt and grease need to be cleaned off during the prep stages, which are the most time-consuming aspects of any paint job.
[IMG]http://www.auto

Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 AM

GREAT article space!!! i loved every second of it. it helps me cause im plannin on makin some major changes to the interior of my monte this fall. the performance is gonna have to wait until i can throw a 3800 in her.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member

ORIGINAL: mickey

first off. the door handels coem off easily just unscrew them and pull LOL

the handels in the center of the door i havent gotten mine off or tried but i have been told they will come off with taking the bolts out of the back side first.

the ones on teh wheel DO NOT JUST SNAP IN OR OUT OF THE WHEEL~!!!!!! YOU WILL BREAK THEM!!!!!!!!

but they are not tuff to get to just take your time tpo do it.

un hook the bat.
let sit for 10min. (i normally take this time to tear apart the coulum shroud etc....)
Take the air bag off the wheel. by removing the screws in teh back of the steering wheel
BE CARUEFUL!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE SURE NO POWER IS GOING TO THE CAR AND GROUND YOUR SELF BEFORE TOUCHING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after you take off the air bag you will see that there are four small screws to take out and then teh whole thing will fall off in your hands.
then ya can pop out the switches and paint the thing as one unit and put it back in the car and make it all pretty again.

Just remeber when ya pain plastic to get it supper clean and use a paint promoter to get it to stick on the plastic better.
I have always used regular autpo grade paints. if you go to a paint shop they can put them in a spray bomb for you relitivly cheap and also tell them what your doing and they can even add a flex agent in there to make sure the paint will flex some instead of chipping off eaisly.

But while your there it is time to tear the switches apart and change the color of them to

then when ya put the doors and the steering wheel back to geather they will look totaly diffrent!!
let em knwo if ya need soem help on them
Oh, man!! I had no idea it was that involved! Got me second thinking it now. Maybe I should just mask off and hand paint them instead of spraypainting. I actually already did the door handle bezels, I'll get some pics up.

Thanks for that article again, Space. I remember seeing that one a few months back, but now it makes more sense to me that I am doing mine.

As for the paint, I used a Rustoleum metal primer, baked in the Las Vegas sun for a few hours, then used a Rustoleum "Ultimate Finish" aluminum silver paint, let cure in the sun also, then finished with a minwax spray clear for wood which muted the metallic on the silver and gave a great finishing coat to the bezel...also set in sun. I know this sounds like a strange combination, but the results are like factory!! I scratch it with my nails and it feels like it came that way. Even the texturing of the panel came throught the paint and it looks like the paint was always there.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 PM

actually it is not to hard to do just make sure ya get it where ya want it . and the other thing that most dont think of is this.

If you dont care if it is smooth or textured then you can actually just clean it really well and ruff it slightly and then paint it with plastic primmer and also the pait prep.

it will turn out with the same texture that is on it now just in a diffrent color and it is a whole lot eaiser.
Mine on the dash i did i sanded everythign smooth then i painted and color sanded etc.. till i was done then i cleared the living crap out of it to make sure it didnt have a issue later

Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member

Here's what I did so far. Forgot to mention that I first sanded the bezels with 80 grit before primer, then 120 grit on the dried primer, then paint, then clear.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Moderator Bigg `J,
- Jason -
I like it : ) You are justblessed with so much talent.
Thanks 4 Shar'in the pic's of your task of mak'in your Silver Streak'in
Monte Carlo yours. Now, you can set up your own shop : )
Keep posting your update.
I would have painted your interior for you LOL
Wish you a Happy in your Space
d `Space

Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM

looks nice, See i had anted to do that on mine also . but i have a red LED in there o light them up at night and figure by painting them red it would not look right.

But man i like how it looks in there. just wish i would have done it Red then thought of putting a LED in there ofa diffrent color or not a all.

To me that and the door pulls make the cars look s much nicer then just plain black

Quick Reply: HELP!!! RE: painting interior panels.