Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

it has started! Painting my engine cover!! (AGAIN) buahaha

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Hey, 03limitedss!

If you have a moment, would you mind telling me what you used for masking off the main area when you first laid down black, then when you masked off the center area & laid white? Masking tape? Masking paper? There had to be a semi-special tape to assist in the colors NOT bleeding into each other, right?

Also, you stated you used high temp Rust Oleum's clear to finish off everything, but besides the duplicolor, what did you use for the black & white?

Did you just lay a few light coats/layers on at a time until you got the desired coverage, or did you start with laying it on rather thick from the start? I suppose that goes for any of the colors - black, white, clear ...

In approximately 3 weeks I am storing my 2003 SS for the winter, & am going to strip it of a ton of things for a bunch of collective winter projects to have to keep me busy, busy, busy, & painting the engine was going to be one of them, I just happened to be fortunate to join MCFcom & found this great thread started by you.

So it goes without saying that anything you could take a few minutes & pass on to me, & to anyone else that will read this in the future, will be greatly appreciated.

Be good,

Zeke
'11

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
Hey, 03limitedss!

If you have a moment, would you mind telling me what you used for masking off the main area when you first laid down black, then when you masked off the center area & laid white? Masking tape? Masking paper? There had to be a semi-special tape to assist in the colors NOT bleeding into each other, right?

Also, you stated you used high temp Rust Oleum's clear to finish off everything, but besides the duplicolor, what did you use for the black & white?

Did you just lay a few light coats/layers on at a time until you got the desired coverage, or did you start with laying it on rather thick from the start? I suppose that goes for any of the colors - black, white, clear ...

In approximately 3 weeks I am storing my 2003 SS for the winter, & am going to strip it of a ton of things for a bunch of collective winter projects to have to keep me busy, busy, busy, & painting the engine was going to be one of them, I just happened to be fortunate to join MCFcom & found this great thread started by you.

So it goes without saying that anything you could take a few minutes & pass on to me, & to anyone else that will read this in the future, will be greatly appreciated.

Be good,

Zeke
'11
Thanks for checking out my thread zeke

For the masking I just used 1" Scotch blue painters tape and regular printer paper lol
Gotta improvise with what u have :p

I used Rust o leums HIGH HEAT paint and clear
Sprayed down 2 light coats of each and finally a heavy coat to finish it up it also dries up pretty quick

Goodluck

Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Thank you, Sir.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM

how many coats did you do with the touch up paint?? and did you sand it at all? what kind of spray paint too??

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
how many coats did you do with the touch up paint?? and did you sand it at all? what kind of spray paint too??
on the grille?
i got three coats on it. no sanding at all was done since it was new anyway, i used duplicolor perfect match and clear also

Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM

how about on the engine cover too?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

how about on the engine cover too?
Read above ^^^ lol :p

Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM

oh! lmao my bad! thanksss! yeah i think im going to redo mine with the black gross and then white and red writing

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Zeke
Thank you, Sir.
ur very welcome

oh! lmao my bad! thanksss! yeah i think im going to redo mine with the black gross and then white and red writing
its all good man
sounds good, post pics when u do!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i got my spare engine cover the other day. hoping it comes out as good as yours did. i am currently trying to figure out what color scheme i want

Quick Reply: it has started! Painting my engine cover!! (AGAIN) buahaha