Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Front plate cover and rear side window.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Default Front plate cover and rear side window.

I'm considering trading in my 2001 LS on a 2004 supercharged SS.

My 2001 has the front license plate cover but the 2004 doesn't. I figure I can pull it off the 01 and put it on the 04 after painting it to match the new color. (I live in pa, the 04 is in jersey. jersey uses front plates, pa doesn't so the dealer would pull it off anyways).

Does it just pop out with a plastic wedge? Or is there a screw holding it in?

Also, my 2001 has an old obituary sticker (the death metal band) that i found in a record store in new orleans when I drove there in 2004 (it's kind of a souvenir from the trip - I drove the 2001 LS there with a few friends).
It's on the driver side window. I kinda want to move it to the 2004 LS but since it's a die cut vinyl sticker I think i'll have to swap the windows out. How much would I be looking at to get someone to do that? They should be the same size window, right? This is probably unrealistic, but the sticker is from the early 90's. I found it in the bottom of a box of cheap stickers. Since it is die cut, the plastic cover on the sheet was aged and yellow, but the white stickers underneath were fresh and shiny and it's been on the window for four years now.

-Riggs.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Front plate cover and rear side window.

instead of swappin the windows out just get a heat gun (or a blow dryer will take longer tho) and warm it up and take a PLASTIC razor blade (not sharp) and run it with the longest side of ur sticker. holding the loose edge so it dosent fold over. and keep the blade as close the glass as possible so as much of the glue with the sticker.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member

Good idea, I'm probably not really gonna worry about the sticker too much tho. I will end up giving a shot at peeling it off. Only problem is that it's actually 8 stickers since it's a die cut sticker. Each letter is an individual sticker. That would be a headache to line up again. Although I guess i could stick them to a piece of mylar with something greasy and then use that to line them up and reapply them.

Can't believe I'm actually considering doing that much work for a 5 dollar sticker.....

Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 AM

i thought it was that important to you. but yeah that would be alot of work for a sticker. i wouldnt bother

Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member

It definitely has sentimental value. I think I was sleep deprived when I came up with that idea though....

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the sticker(s) have been on the car for 4 years, there's a good chance that the vinyl is going to be too brittle to be removed. The heat gun will loosen the glue, but won't help with the brittle-ness of the vinyl. I think taking a picture may have to suffice for now.

Something you could do if the sticker is simply just letters. Take good close-up pictures of the sticker(s) and try to find letters in the same font. If possible.

As for the plate cover, there are two small screws on the bottom edge of the cover. Simply remove the two screws and the plate cover will fall off in your hands.