Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Engine Bay Cleaning Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Question Engine Bay Cleaning Tips?

Okay... I am kind of embarrassed about the condition of my engine bay... Is there someone here who can help me out? I have some pictures of the engine, but I need to know where I need to tape off the wires, etc., etc...

I normally keep the rest of the car spotless, but right now this is the only thing that is keeping me from being where I want to be.

2002 Monte Carlo SS

Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ive heard if you use tire shine that works good, i use meguiars quick detailer and just get in there and clean it, you can cover the electrical stuff, and spray some engine bay foam and then spray down with the hose.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

What I did back when it was that dirty was...I took the engine cover first & covered it with engine degreaser & then sprayed it off with the hose. Then I took it inside to wash it really good with soap & water in the tub. Then I took a bucket of water & put the same soap I use to wash the car with. Then you can either use paper towels or an old rag to do this first step, it'll get super dirty so don't use anything really nice or anything. Once you have your rag, get it all soapy in the bucket, ring it out really good so you don't have a ton of water going everywhere (be sure to watch out for the alternator), & then just start scrubbing everywhere! Once you have all of the dirt off, dry everything off really good with another rag or paper towels. After everything is dry, then you can take specific detailing products to it. I use quik detailer on the parts that are the actual painted metal sections of the car...like on the brace bars, dogbones, STB, the front frame, etc. Then I usually use armor all or some sort of plastic cleaner/protectant on the hoses, airbox, wires, etc. You could just spray it all down with a hose, but you HAVE to be careful of areas that can't get water in them like the alternator, soo that's why I don't use the hose. But yeah that's the short version of how I do it. I would post the results of my engine bay but I'm not on my laptop so I don't have any at the moment. I'll put a pic of it up later. Hope this helps at least a lil bit. It takes a while but it looks show quality (which it has to be for my car lol) afterwards if you do it right.

BTW you should send me your engine cover to paint hehe j/k!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Mkk here are pics of my engine bay. I got them off another thread I posted from a car show lol they aren't the best but hey they work

Old 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

Engine degreaser and the parts I still have black I actually use tire shine (meguairs).... get it cleaned up to look like this......

Attached Thumbnails Engine Bay Cleaning Tips?-5193_1071664284047_1599330100_30227233_8172752_n.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Can I hire you guys out to clean it :P my god. Your engines both looked great.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

lol it takes time, but at least you know what it can be.... so use it as motivation!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

1. Spray down the whole Engine with Degreaser or All Purpose Cleaner. Meguiars Detailer Brand works fantastic. Some people like to spray down the engine with water first but that dilutes the cleaner more.

2. Get some brushes and scrub out areas that are really dirty but try and touch everything once.

3. Do not let product dry keep it wet so you may have to work fairly quickly. You can always add more product to keep it wet.

4. Hose down the whole engine area.

5. Don't forget under the hood.

6. Start the engine to make sure everything works and close the hood so its sitting on the latch, not fully closed so it can air dry as well.

7. Let engine run for about 10 min.

8. Let air dry for another 20 min. 30 min total.

9. Wipe away remaining water.

10. I like to use Meguiars Detailer All Season Dressing, just spray it all over the engine area to all non painted areas. You do not have to wipe this product off it will dry to a shiny Finnish. If you want a more of a mat finnish wipe off residue after a few minutes.

11. Apply a good Sealant and then a good Carnauba wax to all painted areas, or if you have any chrome or aluminum ect.. apply a chrome or aluminum polish followed by a Sealant and a Carnauba wax

12. Your done!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry92
Can I hire you guys out to clean it :P my god. Your engines both looked great.
lol hey I wanted to open my own detailing business this spring. I live like 3 hours away from the Iowa border

Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I get some engine shine/ degreaser. Works pretty good I think.

Wet it down, just cover everything in the spray lol.

They dont live on gravel ^^^

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Cleaning Tips?