Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Engine bay cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 PM
1 Year Member
Default Engine bay cleaning

I have discovered the absolute best cleaning solution for your engine bay...

Wheel and tire cleaner!

I use mothers, no idea how other brands work. You have to do this while the engine is stone cold. This **** will leave hard to remove run marks if it goes on a hot surface. This holds true on rims as well. Ive done it. If its been in the sun dont use it.

Got this tip from a friend. Basically sprayed down the entire engine etc. tubes whatever and gave it a light sprinkle to sort of spread the soap around let it chill for a minute and then sprayed it off. It fricken melts everything off!

This stuff is designed to remove brake dust from rims without even having to scrub. I used it on my black calipers and they now actually are metallic again and look brand new. Im pretty pumped about this if you couldnt tell!

Use at your own risk of course...hasnt hurt anything on my car yet. I also would try not to get it on the clear coat...not sure how it would effect it. its acidic i believe.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I tend to clean the engine and engine space with Simple Green (spray and agitate with a soft bristle/nylon brush). To help hoses, tubes, wire looms, and plastic pieces, a little use of foaming tire cleaner, rinse off and wipe anything hit with foaming cleaner. Leaves a nice shine/wet look.

But I also found, use a good quality foaming cleaner. The cheap stuff is worthless (I've tried), I stepped it up to Maguires and very good results then.

Just another method to get good results

Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I tend to clean the engine and engine space with Simple Green (spray and agitate with a soft bristle/nylon brush). To help hoses, tubes, wire looms, and plastic pieces, a little use of foaming tire cleaner, rinse off and wipe anything hit with foaming cleaner. Leaves a nice shine/wet look.

But I also found, use a good quality foaming cleaner. The cheap stuff is worthless (I've tried), I stepped it up to Maguires and very good results then.

Just another method to get good results
Ill have to do that foaming tire cleaner trick! Sounds like a good idea! The wheel cleaner i used leaves everything looking very...dry i guess. Like brake cleaner almost. Sounds like a good combo to me. Im gonna try that hot shine stuff tomorrow!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do love mother's products and have used the tire and wheel cleaner but not for the engine. Will have to try it.

Thanks for sharing this!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM

10 Year Member

I have also seen someone get great looking results with a GUNK brand engine cleaner (not sure which one).

For wheels, I like the "wet look". Maguire's makes an awesome spray (not the foaming cleaner). It's a spray that goes on easy, can looks almost like their foaming cleaner. I'm not a fan of foaming cleaners on my wheels.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM

What about those car wash super sprayer thingies? O,o; Ive never cleaned my engine much..

Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
What about those car wash super sprayer thingies? O,o; Ive never cleaned my engine much..
\

I'd be careful using high pressure hoses =. Have a tendency of forcing water under seals on your engine (fuse box ect...)

If you can protect potential problem areas (fuse box, alternator, ect) I guess it would be ok

Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM

10 Year Member

I agree with Tad, I would not get into pressure washers.

I've done it, but only on a cars that were crazy filthy (but I just used the same cleaning supplies I mentioned and applied them in a car wash bay and use the rinse cycle). Once you have to do something that extreme, just try to maintain the clean and you should never need to do that again.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I agree with Tad, I would not get into pressure washers.

I've done it, but only on a cars that were crazy filthy (but I just used the same cleaning supplies I mentioned and applied them in a car wash bay and use the rinse cycle). Once you have to do something that extreme, just try to maintain the clean and you should never need to do that again.
Right if you keep on top of it, engine bay and engine cleaning is a breeze

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Some of that tire stuff is flamable so use with caution in the engine compartment. I use simple green and a steam cleaner. Also on the untreated metal a wire brush works wonders.

Quick Reply: Engine bay cleaning